Change km/h to outside temp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c63chris

MB Enthusiast
Car
SL63 + BMW 335d Touring
As some people already know, I've just got an A45. Really happy with the car but the manual describes changing the main display from showing km/h to either miles/h or outside temp. However I can only find changing the main units from miles to km and back. Is this an AMG exclusion or have I missed something??

It's a UK spec thing. Older cars can be coded to show outside temp but not newer models.

whitenemesis said:
It's a UK spec thing. Older cars can be coded to show outside temp but not newer models.

Yes you couldn't do this on my last C Class but the manual for the A45 describes how to do it but my car doesn't have the menu option listed under settings?

I think what WN is saying is that your car does not have this option menu (in spite of what the manual says) because it is UK-spec, and that it is not possible to enable this menu option - not even via STAR?

markjay said:
I think what WN is saying is that your car does not have this option menu (in spite of what the manual says) because it is UK-spec, and that it is not possible to enable this menu option - not even via STAR?

Ok, thanks, shame but not a biggie. Only drive abroad once a year so not much use to me. Serves me right for reading the manual:)

Might be worth a call to the coding gurus at Comand in Lightwater. If anyone can do this it would be them.

I asked Mercedes about this in February as my B200 is the same. Here is the response I got from them:

Thank you for contacting Mercedes-Benz Customer Service.

We can confirm that indeed the feature that you describe is not available on vehicles supplied in the United Kingdom as it is a legal requirement that both miles per hour and kilometres per hour are displayed at all times. The owners manual is a generic English language version and will coverer all aspects of the vehicle (including options that are not fitted to the vehicle) however it is not necessarily all features and options will be applicable to your particular vehicle based on the build specification or market area requirements or restrictions.

Let me know how you get on please?

On my car, the temp shows when you have the odo displaying. I'd rather have it on the trip screen, but there ya go.

Ditch999 said:
I asked Mercedes about this in February as my B200 is the same. Here is the response I got from them: Thank you for contacting Mercedes-Benz Customer Service. We can confirm that indeed the feature that you describe is not available on vehicles supplied in the United Kingdom as it is a legal requirement that both miles per hour and kilometres per hour are displayed at all times. The owners manual is a generic English language version and will coverer all aspects of the vehicle (including options that are not fitted to the vehicle) however it is not necessarily all features and options will be applicable to your particular vehicle based on the build specification or market area requirements or restrictions. Let me know how you get on please?

Thanks, will do though this seems to be going into the too difficult box. Shame really as with the AMG menu up the only missing for the driver, I think, is outside temperature.

Reeco said:
On my car, the temp shows when you have the odo displaying. I'd rather have it on the trip screen, but there ya go.

I think it's that way with most cars. My last C class did that too. It was just the bottom of the screen where you have 3 entries: time, mode (Eco, sport, manual), speed(km/h). That stays the same in all menus. If that read temp instead of speed you would have it on all menus.

As some people already know, I've just got an A45. Really happy with the car but the manual describes changing the main display from showing km/h to either miles/h or outside temp. However I can only find changing the main units from miles to km and back. Is this an AMG exclusion or have I missed something??

This is a coding option that might be possible to change;)

We have recently found a way of coding these sort of things on much newer cars than previously thought possible:bannana:

Alfie said:
This is a coding option that might be possible to change;) We have recently found a way of coding these sort of things on much newer cars than previously thought possible:bannana:

Can you do mine and if so how much? It's a brand new A45 AMG.

I asked Mercedes about this in February as my B200 is the same. Here is the response I got from them:

Thank you for contacting Mercedes-Benz Customer Service.

We can confirm that indeed the feature that you describe is not available on vehicles supplied in the United Kingdom as it is a legal requirement that both miles per hour and kilometres per hour are displayed at all times. The owners manual is a generic English language version and will coverer all aspects of the vehicle (including options that are not fitted to the vehicle) however it is not necessarily all features and options will be applicable to your particular vehicle based on the build specification or market area requirements or restrictions.

Let me know how you get on please?

This has been discussed before - in spite of MB's claim that 'it is a legal requirement that both miles per hour and kilometres per hour are displayed at all times', it seems that not all manufactures subscribe to this view - definitely my Renault did not have this feature - it could display the speed in either MPH or KMH but not both at the same time.

As markjay says, the car must be capable of displaying kph but doesn't need to be displayed permanently

As markjay says, the car must be capable of displaying kph but doesn't need to be displayed permanently

See (35) in The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (unless there is a later legislation superseding this...

35. (1) Save as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3), every motor vehicle shall be fitted with a speedometer which, if the vehicle is first used on or after 1st April 1984, shall be capable of indicating speed in both miles per hour and kilometres per hour, either simultaneously or, by the operation of a switch, separately.

See (35) in The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (unless there is a later legislation superseding this...

35. (1) Save as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3), every motor vehicle shall be fitted with a speedometer which, if the vehicle is first used on or after 1st April 1984, shall be capable of indicating speed in both miles per hour and kilometres per hour, either simultaneously or, by the operation of a switch, separately.

Renault: 1, MB: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom