Change Number Plate ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

njkmr

Evening all .
Recently purchased 54 plate Cl600 .
I want to put my reg plate on it and have just received the documents etc.
The back number plate has a number plate stuck on it .(I presume last owner could not be bothered to take his private reg off ,when he changed car so he stuck the transfer reg plate on top of his private reg .)
The underneath plate doesnt seem to have screw holes through it ,but is fixed somehow by the back of the plate through the boot lid .

Can anybody tell me the easiest way to put my new plates on it ,and which part of the bootlid allows access to the fixing points .
(I really dont want to stick my plate on the top of the other two plates on all ready .!!!:confused::confused::confused:

Apologies if it is simple .I dont want to start ripping things apart for no reason .

I would think you'll have to prise the two plates apart with a strong sharp knife,then you should be able to see how the 1st plate is fixed on. Alternatively, brute force & break both of 'em off !

I have pulled the top one off a bit but there are no holes or screws through the original plate ,and it seems to be fixed by the back of the plate through the boot lid .

I would suspect that its stuck on with that double sided tape , thats what i use, it sticks really well , designed for fixing trim strips on the body of cars.

See what your saying bennesspipers ,but it is fixed through the boot lid ,just need to know how to access from inside the bootlid .Dont want to stick them on and have some scrote rip em off on me .
Thanks All the same .

Use some dental floss and slip it behind the number plate on one side and work your way through the tape holding the number plate in place with the floss with a sort of sawing action. :thumb:

It doesnt sound to me like its fixed with bolts to the bootlid or the screws would be seen on the outer side of the plate.... not unless a number plate surround is being used that is - in which case, the number plate can be slid out of the surround (with a bit of a fight).

Last edited:
Thanks fellas ,I will have a look at it at the weekend .

Job Done .

One plate was double sided sticky foamed to the other which was then sticky taped to the car .

Removed carefully and new plates now sticky foamed back on and screwed for good measure .:thumb:

Thanks Fellas .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom