Change of Internet Provider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l5foye

Car
ML 300CDI
Within the next couple of weeks, I plan to change internet provider, something I have never done before. Is it a seamless process or can I expect a delay for a change over to take place? I am currently with BT which is ok-ish but is more expensive than others. What has really annoyed me is BT writing to me to offer a 'New Broadband deal'. 'New' with BT
turns out to be the same deal as I had !!!

I think it depends who you’re changing to. I’ve changed quite a few times. Worse change was from BT to talktalk. Talktalk, in my opinion, are awful. I moved from TT to Zen and that was seamless. Although Zen aren’t the cheapest they are the best I’ve used. They use FritzBox routers which I find brilliant.

Assuming the Internet is currently provided over an analogue telephone line (e.g. ADSL or FTTC), and you intend to keep it this way with the new provider:

Your new provider will ship to you a pre-configured router (or an unconfigured router, with configuration instructions).

Then, your current provider will issue you with a code, which you should give to your new provider.

This code will allow the new provider to take-over the broadband service on the line on the agreed date.

What you should do then is connect the new router in replacement of the old router on the given day and wait for the new provider to take-over the service on the telephone line. This can mean a few hours without Internet during the day.

Next you will need to reconnect all your WiFi devices because the new router will have different SSID and password (unless you have a separate WiFi system at home, or you are able to change the default SSID and password on the new router).

And last, keep an eye on the bills, to ensure that the old provider stopped charging you for the service.

This is how it typically happens, but there are variations. For example, some providers will dispatch and engineer to your home to install the new router.

In any event, the new provider will give you precise instructions, they have done this many times before. So nothing to worry about.

Give bt 30 days notice or they will condemn you to hell. Have a look on u switch for deals. Avoid talktalk they are based in india and customer service is purely diabolical. Im with vodafone based in ireland im getting 79 mbs on fibre £26 a month .

Within the next couple of weeks, I plan to change internet provider, something I have never done before. Is it a seamless process or can I expect a delay for a change over to take place? I am currently with BT which is ok-ish but is more expensive than others. What has really annoyed me is BT writing to me to offer a 'New Broadband deal'. 'New' with BT
turns out to be the same deal as I had !!!
I’d be pretty happy if the super new deal the same as my existing, it would confirm that my deal was current.
In my experience BT supply better routers than others.

I change every year or two max. depending on contract.
Usually Sky/BT/Vodafone, always been seemless.
Went from Vodafone to Sky last year on their Black Friday deal, £27 all in for 150MB inc. anytime calls, Vodafone were £38 for slower and BT a lot more.

Also get cash back on Quidco, I'd encourage folks to move, should be simple, saves cash and has bonuses like changing home insurer.

Went from Vodafone to Sky last year on their Black Friday deal, £27 all in for 150MB inc. anytime calls, Vodafone were £38 for slower and BT a lot more.

Also get cash back on Quidco, I'd encourage folks to move, should be simple, saves cash and has bonuses like changing home insurer.

Can SKY make BT’s infrastructure faster?

I wouldn't think they can make the Openreach system faster.

Think it comes down to the cost they charge, where BT wanted over £50 for similar bandwidth claim, Sky were a lot cheaper.

May not be same for me next time as I always seem to get a better deal by moving.

Then, your current provider will issue you with a code, which you should give to your new provider.

This code will allow the new provider to take-over the broadband service on the line on the agreed date.

Most suppliers now do all the switching work for you. The new supplier will inform the old supplier, and make arrangements to take over the service. Virgin are the exception to this, as they use their own cable network rather than the Openreach cabinets and exchanges.

N

No . Just like all other companies they buy lines from bt and charge what they think is acceptable. Its all from bt / openreach .

Don't forget to change your E mail addresses as BT charge unless you have an account with them.

I’m now with BT, they’re not the cheapest but so far the service has been spot on and reliable. We were with The Post Office, don’t ever use them, the internet was not working more often than it was, customer service was horrendous “turn it off and on again and call back”, it was so bad we paid up the remaining 6 months to get out of our contract !!

I'm with the PO & have had no issues in the 6 or 7 mths I've been with them. I will change to the cheapest supplier on renewal, as I do with gas, leccy, insurance etc every year, not because they're bad but because that's how to play this game.

Virgin cable for the win :) It may be a bit pricier, and obviously not available everywhere, but I get 350Mb (and I actually get that) and when it goes wrong there's no passing the buck between ISP and BT for the infrastructure, it's always going to Virgin who need to fix it. I won't move anywhere that isn't cabled up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom