Change Oil Filter on 2017 Sprinter OM651 engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonnypitlad

Car
Sprinter
Hello, fairly new to this forum
I’m having difficulty removing the oil filter housing “plastic cap” on my OM651 Sprinter engine
It must have been last overtorqued by a gorilla
I bought a cap socket wrench off eBay because I could see it would be awkward to use a strap or chain wrench
It was cheap alloy marked size “903” 74mm x 14 flute so should have been correct size
It was a slack fit on the housing cap, I had to apply a lot of torque using a breaker bar and small extension but it just “skids” or “ skips” on the plastic flutes and won’t budge
I’m going to purchase a better quality wrench ( a Mann LS7) cup wrench
Do any members have tips on removing a stubborn plastic filter cap?
The engine was warm when I tried to loosen the filter housing because I was draining the oil, does temperature have any effect on the plastic? ie would it be beneficial to try to loosen when the plastic is cold?
Any help would be appreciated, I’m using that much force that any more may snap something

Attachments

• 033DB13A-EE2A-488A-9926-562DFCE10387.jpeg
    033DB13A-EE2A-488A-9926-562DFCE10387.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • A8CEB1AA-0AAD-44E0-B6EC-3A9B07FA200B.jpeg
    A8CEB1AA-0AAD-44E0-B6EC-3A9B07FA200B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
Welcome to the forums. Aouch just slap the last person who changed the filter. Either way you need to apply excessive force and you will most likely damage it. Try and get it out by any means necessary and replace it as you might not be able to tighten it to 25Nm now.

Under similar circs. I've used a strap wrench to break the initial grip.

Thanks CarFan79
I’d wondered what the holes on the side of the MB genuine item were for
I may D&T the cheap alloy one before the Mann LS7 arrives
The genuine MB ones I’ve seen advertised seem to range from £28 -£65!
Anyone care to speculate if temperature makes a difference ie hot, expanded and tight?, cool, contracted and easier to loosen?

If you have any self amalgamating tape, wrap the hex on the filter housing in it. It'll help tighten the grip of the removal tool - maybe enough to loosen it. Or anything else you can improvise to tighten it up. (I've used tin foil on sloppy Torx bolts to good effect before).
In theory heat as it's male in female you're trying to shift but the friction is likely at the seal not the threads and any expansion there could make it worse to remove. Concentrate on gaining purchase instead.

Thanks Bellow
I’ll try that too, it may improve the fit and the grip
I’m grateful for the constructive comments I’ve received
I was toiling to remove a metal canister filter with a similar tool as it was slipping. Self amalgamating tape helped me apply more effort but still wasn't enough for mine (but painted steel was slippery). My eventual solution was claw type spring compressor clamped on. Fine for a disposable steel filter (the claws 'dug in') but not for your plastic housing. Those plastic housings when they stick do take a lot of torque to break the seal - you only need 'enough' though. Good luck!

Try this often works !
Tuercas Viejas
ps Cap torque is 25 Nm

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That’s a helpful video Tuercas Viegas
Fortunately my new cup wrench arrived yesterday and worked on my 2017 MB Sprinter 314CDI 906 with OM651 engine
It’s a Mann LS7 eBay item number 8017018217
It’s black “plastic” not alloy as shown in their photo
I was concerned because they quoted dimensions of 76mm x 14 flute
I had been told the correct size is
74mm x 14 flute
It was a better fit than the previous cheap “903” alloy cup wrench that I’d bought
The Mann LS7 cup wrench needs a 27mm socket on the “nut”
I used 1/2” drive breaker bar and 240mm 1/2” drive extension, nearly gave myself a hernia but eventually it loosened and I was able to change the filter
The Mann HU7010Z filter instructions shows that it can be installed in either direction but has to be very firmly pushed home so that only 1 of 2 lines remains visible
The new plastic cup wrench is now seized onto the plastic filter housing ( probably because of the intense friction in loosening the cap) but that’s ok, it isn’t going to fall off, I’ll know where it is next time and it looks very similar to the original filter cap
Many thanks for all your assistance

Fortunately my new cup wrench arrived yesterday and worked on my 2017 MB Sprinter 314CDI 906 with OM651 engine
74mm x 14 flute
It was a better fit than the previous cheap “903” alloy cup wrench that I’d bought
I used 1/2” drive breaker bar and 240mm 1/2” drive extension, nearly gave myself a hernia but eventually it loosened and I was able to change the filter
The Mann HU7010Z filter instructions shows that it can be installed in either direction but has to be very firmly pushed home so that only 1 of 2 lines remains visible
The new plastic cup wrench is now seized onto the plastic filter housing ( probably because of the intense friction in loosening the cap) but that’s ok, it isn’t going to fall off, I’ll know where it is next time and it looks very similar to the original filter cap
Thanks for updating the thread when you solved the problem. :) Hopefully this will help a future member out with the same issue. :)

74mm x 14 flute
That sounds like some of my guys who have left the cup wrench on the cap as freebie courtesy gift to the customer . 👿
GRR rrr
All the best and you have it now fixed up.

Still as a funny footnote, a mate of mine in Iraq decided to change his oil on the Rangie, and took to removing the spin on cartridge with a screw driver & hammer, dumping the oil down the drain. The filter wouldn't budge, tearing the body! So he filled it will fresh new Iraqi oil and drove the car to my place with the "broken arrow" still stuck through the filter.!:D
Leaving a trail of oil all the way from the British Embassy along Sadoon St, he kept topping it up when the oil pressure went to zero! Mad Ass
Ah well Iraqi oil was cheap in them days probably still is! :eek:.
Cheers TV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom