Change springs in pairs???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JimC200

Car
2004 w211 estate 2.2 cdi manual, 177k mls
just had my c200 fly through the NCT with no problems :) did advise however that my rear driver side spring is corroded and may need replacing soon so...... do i replace one or a pair? im guessing a pair, great excuse to lower this bad boy

As you say always best to change in pairs. Your car may develop a list and handling problem if you just change the one.

Many just replace one but changing in pairs gives the warm fuzzy feeling inside!
If you do just swap the one, get it from the main dealer, not expensive and you will get exactly the right onefr the options your car has.

Note that if a spring fails under manufacturers warranty they only replace one ;)
If the customer is paying they recommend replacing in pairs.

I recently had a front spring go on my SLK, and the service manager explained that they always replace them in pairs, on the basis that if one has just gone, the other probably won't be too far behind (though some will no doubt think "they would say that, wouldn't they"). It also obviously ensures that they are the same age each side.

Last edited:
ALWAYS REPLACE IN PAIRS unless they are less than a year old.

Many just replace one but changing in pairs gives the warm fuzzy feeling inside!
If you do just swap the one, get it from the main dealer, not expensive and you will get exactly the right onefr the options your car has.

Note that if a spring fails under manufacturers warranty they only replace one ;)
If the customer is paying they recommend replacing in pairs.

Probably because of the age, or lack of!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom