Changed dash bulbs cause SRS problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W202Paul

Car
W202 C180 Classic
I removed the instrument panel and changed a couple of blown bulbs (1.2 watt). Before I did this the SRS light behaved as it should. On reassembling, the light now comes on, goes off very briefly and illuminates again. It then extinguishes itself after about a minute.

How can I solve this - will temporarily disconnecting the battery clear the fault?

...How can I solve this - will temporarily disconnecting the battery clear the fault?

I don't know, but if this is what you want to do, then I would start with removing the relevant fuse?

If the ignition was turned on while the cluster was disconnected from the two plugs in its rear then the SRS light will come on, as far as I know the only way to rectify the fault is to put the car on STAR diagnostic to have it turned off.

Dec

If the ignition was turned on while the cluster was disconnected from the two plugs in its rear then the SRS light will come on, as far as I know the only way to rectify the fault is to put the car on STAR diagnostic to have it turned off.

Dec

Or an Autel MaxiDiag unit - they can erase SRS codes on MB cars (mine does).

Dec

Indeed, however while handling the bulb change, I'd suspect a loose bulb contact on the SRS slot within the instrument cluster. This results in the SRS warning light staying lit for about 4 minutes then extinguishes.

The only way to get rid of this nuisance warning light is STAR diag machine or equivalent.

You could try removing the SRS warning bulb, press in the contacts to make sure it's tight and reinstall bulb then have the STAR diag reset.

Odd this I've had the same problem but with a "94" SL R129. My SRS light stays on for 2mins.

Sorted, re-set the error codes @ the local Indy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom