Changes to Petrol this year - E10 compatibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On our 2004 CLK240 (maybe 3K a year) I'm tempted to make every 4th fill the higher octane fuel - that sound like a reasonable strategy?

I called MB customer services this morning, because I didn't find the gov website particularly useful, but they checked the VIN of our W202 and confirmed that it will be fine with E10. They were very helpful.

If anyone is unsure about their own car, it may be worth doing the same for peace of mind.

I have 2001 CLK 320 W208, is my vehicle able to handle E10, gov website is rubbish.

My mistake! In which case as an M272 it’ll still be fine for E10.
My service book states CLK 2.8 Cabrio

I am not making an assumption about anything - dangerous course of action. The gov't website specifically states W203CGI, It does not say W203 Kompressor which as @ DSM10000 states, is a completely different engine.
What I am not inclined to do is trust what I read on a gov't website.

A CGI version of the Kompressor engine sounds like a bit of a contradiction.
As I understand it; the Kompressor is driven off the engine - ie by connection to the crank/cam/drive-belt or similar. Whereas the CGI engine is turbocharged - ie driven by exhaust gas pressure.
Am I under a misunderstanding?
Good read thanks.still confused if the 271 946 kompressor will be fine e10 fuel regards magsbert

On our 2004 CLK240 (maybe 3K a year) I'm tempted to make every 4th fill the higher octane fuel - that sound like a reasonable strategy?
Not sure why you would do this? A car is either compatible with E10 or is not.

The engine in your CLK is compatible so there would be no benefit from using an E5 fuel as you suggest on every 4th fill and as it is designed to run on 95 Octane there would be performance benefits, also, you would still have E10 fuel in the car for 75% of the time.

I called MB customer services this morning, because I didn't find the gov website particularly useful, but they checked the VIN of our W202 and confirmed that it will be fine with E10. They were very helpful.

If anyone is unsure about their own car, it may be worth doing the same for peace of mind.
I contacted Mercedes Manchester and they didn’t have clue. They stated they haven’t been given any instruction on the matter.

still confused if the 271 946

M271 946 has multipoint fuel injection i.e. it's not a CGI (direct injection) engine so you are ok.

But you can't just equate kompressor with being OK. The idea that CGI and kompressor are mutually exclusive is a wrong perception. The engine that is incompatible with E10 is the M271 DE ML 271.942 which is both CGI and according to the documentation I've seen a kompressor.

I’m also unsure. I have 2 cabriolet CLK 200 kompressors a 2001 W208 &@ 2004 W209. My local Swansea MB dealer hasn’t replied to my email on E10 compatibility ( although they acknowledged receipt). I don’t want to risk damage to seals etc but at £0-15p/litre extra for super E5 at my local petrol station, it’s a significant cost if it’s not essential.

I contacted Mercedes Manchester and they didn’t have clue. They stated they haven’t been given any instruction on the matter.
That's why my post suggested calling MB customer service. It doesn't surprise me at all that a dealer doesn't know.

Sadly I’ve come to the conclusion that my local dealer is not interested in classic MB owners as the potential for sales is extremely low.
I will try MB Customer Service as you suggest.

Not sure why you would do this? A car is either compatible with E10 or is not.

The engine in your CLK is compatible so there would be no benefit from using an E5 fuel as you suggest on every 4th fill and as it is designed to run on 95 Octane there would be performance benefits, also, you would still have E10 fuel in the car for 75% of the time.
Cheers. Should that say "..... no performance benefits...." ?

Are the tyres the same make/type/size front and rear, are both fronts showing the same 'misfit'?

I’m also unsure. I have 2 cabriolet CLK 200 kompressors a 2001 W208 &@ 2004 W209. My local Swansea MB dealer hasn’t replied to my email on E10 compatibility ( although they acknowledged receipt). I don’t want to risk damage to seals etc but at £0-15p/litre extra for super E5 at my local petrol station, it’s a significant cost if it’s not essential.

That's why my post suggested calling MB customer service. It doesn't surprise me at all that a dealer doesn't know.

Sadly I’ve come to the conclusion that my local dealer is not interested in classic MB owners as the potential for sales is extremely low.
I will try MB Customer Service as you suggest.

To be honest, if I were MB I'd be saying "no comment" beyond what the government website says. Imagine if longer term there WAS an unforeseen issue? After all, the change is outside of MB's control

To be honest, if I were MB I'd be saying "no comment" beyond what the government website says. Imagine if longer term there WAS an unforeseen issue? After all, the change is outside of MB's control
My thoughts exactly, especially at the dealership level.

(BTW not sure the relevance of quoting my post on tyres?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom