changing 124 auxillary drive belt Damper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philiggy

Car
C180 Estate & C220 CDI
Hi
I've tracked the rattle on my engine down to the auxillary drive belt damper, an easy job I thought, however the bottom bolt hits the pulley:eek:

Is there an easy way to do this or does the pulley have to come off?

Cheers
Phil

Hi
I've tracked the rattle on my engine down to the auxillary drive belt damper, an easy job I thought, however the bottom bolt hits the pulley:eek:

Is there an easy way to do this or does the pulley have to come off?

Cheers
Phil

There is an easy way to do it, if no one comes up with the info just ring Ian Walker on your door step

The easy way is to remove the tensioner body complete with the damper. Disassemble and re assemble with new damper then fit complete unit. Takes about 30 mins to do the job. Tools required. 17mm hex allen key or similar ( I use some 17mm hex bar), 13mm open ended spanner, 11mm open ended spanner, a 17mm open ended spanner and a 12 inch 3/8ths extension bar to pull the tensioning device at the top. Give me a call Phil and I will talk you though it.

Hi

Even if you think the bolt is out far enough dont try to pull/lever the damper out. The lug of the tensioner pivot arm will break off if you are too ambitious. (Yes i did it!!!) As Ian says remove the tensioner pivot. There is a black plastic cover on the bolt and once off it is a 17mm hex required,(Halfords do them) you will possibly need a long bar this bolt can be tight and it is ordinary right hand thread. Dont let any dirt into the timing case once the bolt is removed and dont put it back in dirty etc etc.

Good luck with it

Last edited:
:confused: We're talking about the belt tensioner, not the chain tensioner, aren't we?

Yes we are talking about the belt tensioner but the pivot arm bolt the one with the 17mm hex bolt, bolts straight into the timing case.

See attached pdf doc, item 17 is the bolt in question.

Hope this clarifies.

Attachments

• J2PrinterWorks print document.pdf
    27 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Gotcha. I was just looking at this while you were editing...

I had thought the the whole belt tensioner assembly was well away from the inside of the engine. Apologies for the confusion... :eek:

The easy way is to remove the tensioner body complete with the damper. Disassemble and re assemble with new damper then fit complete unit. Takes about 30 mins to do the job. Tools required. 17mm hex allen key or similar ( I use some 17mm hex bar), 13mm open ended spanner, 11mm open ended spanner, a 17mm open ended spanner and a 12 inch 3/8ths extension bar to pull the tensioning device at the top. Give me a call Phil and I will talk you though it.

Cheers Ian
I might just leave it till I'm well enough to bring it in for the other stuff

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom