Changing all tyres from run flat to normal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merckdan

Car
C Class Coupe C220d AMG-Line PremiumPlus
So my C Class Coupe has had the standard Pirelli P Zero run flat tyres but its now come the time to change them. I was thinking of changing them all to normal tyres but wanted to see if this is quiet common to get done and if anyone has had any problems doing this?

My fronts are 225/40 R19 and rear is 255/35 R19.

Tyres wise I was thinking of getting the Michellin Pilot Sport 4 - anyone used these? Or have any better/cost-saving suggestions?

Thank you!

Very much common, lots of owners do so. I have infact not long done this on my Eclass. Also 19" wheels. It will make for a more cushioned ride. Normal tyres are cheaper also. And you will find lots of different brands to choose from. The tyres you have mentioned are a great tyre. Hankook Ventus V12 are also a great all round tyre in my experiences. Quite, hold well in wet and are great in the dry. Personally I would never go back to run flats now I have experienced the ride quality I get from the normal tyres.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 are probably the best regarded tyre on this forum so I think it will be a safe choice 👍🏻

Do it
Most people in the know do..

Run flats are a harsh ride and can damage wheels if not used correctly (yes there is a correct way to use them)

Just be prepared for what happens if you get a flat tyre... maybe a few cans of tyre repair gunk and breakdown cover... better than damaging the tyre and rim by using runflat mode to get home..

I've been wondering too.
Mine has Michelin pilot run flats.
If I go conventional tyres should I go for a space saver or pump n slime?
Will any standard scissor jack do or does it have to be MB supplied?
Thanks folks..

If I go conventional tyres should I go for a space saver or pump n slime?

Personally, I would go for both. The space saver as the default solution, the gunk for when you can't really stop safety for any length of time and replace the wheel. Also, if you get a nail stuck in the tyre causing a slow puncture, the pump that comes with the gunk can reinflate it and you can drive the car to a safe spot even without using the gunk.

Will any standard scissor jack do or does it have to be MB supplied?

The top part of the scissor jack should fit properly into the jacking point recess under the car, or it won't be safe (especially if you do it in a hurry at night). And the reach should be sufficient for mounting the spare wheel. So if not using a genuine MB jack, then it will need to be something compatible.

I put 2 Goodyear eagle assymetric 3 on the front yesterday ,225/40 R19 non runflat , still got the original Conti runflats on the back (6.5mm left).
Car seems much quieter, off to mid Wales tomorrow so will see how much softer the ride is.
I run 18's over the winter so bought a pump with gunk and a genuine MB jack kit (£45) . There is nowhere to put a spacesaver other than in the actual boot , did carry one my 18" wheels in the boot for a while but the thought of an alloy wheel and tyre hurtling towards the back of my head in the event of an accident persuaded me that the pump with gunk would have to suffice.

It depends on the driving that you do; I run long distances at times and if I had a vehicle with rfts, I'd sacrifice comfort for reliability. The car was designed to run on them too, surely, so cannot be that bad.

I agree with markjay

I got a puncture on the motorway and I was in the fast lane. By the time I got over to the hard shoulder the tyre had been cut in two by the rim. I called the AA and spent 5 hours with them getting a new tyre located and fitted.

i now carry a space saver in the boot.

Can’t stand RF tyres.
I have Goodyear fitted and a space saver . Better ride, tyre costs less, more repairable and I think the better option. Will probably cost a few bob more over time in extra fuel but happy to pay.

I use to like run flats they reminded me of the trams at Blackpool. :)

Runflats may seem a clever concept in the new car brochure but the reality is they are an expensive and rather poorly performing solution to a problem that barely exists. The tyre shops won't repair them if you do have a flat and drive on them and then there is the ride. It's hardly progress in my book.

Given the number of times I've had to use the spare in the last 25 years being zero, I'd ditch run flats with few concerns. You just have to balance the many years of lower cost and better ride of conventional tyres with the very low probability of a puncture that actually strands the car.

40 mile trip to mid Wales this morning , much nicer drive , the 19" Assymetrics are so much quieter and softer than even the 18" Goodyear SO1's , or is it all in my mind ? :confused:

40 mile trip to mid Wales this morning , much nicer drive , the 19" Assymetrics are so much quieter and softer than even the 18" Goodyear SO1's , or is it all in my mind ? :confused:
My 5 Series 19 inch Bridgestone RF's are down to 3mm rear & 4.5mm fronts, I'm in 2 minds wether to just change the rears for now or go for all 4, just with my lowish mileage (7k pa) i could get another 12 months or more from the fronts

The original 19" runflats on the front only did about 7000 miles , the middle was barely legal but still had about 4-5mm on the outside even though I reduced the recommended pressure by about 3psi. I did tell the tyre fitters to set the new Assymetrics to 33 psi but my tpm is showing 260 kpa (35+ psi) . Might have to reduce that a bit if the new tyres start wearing in the middle again.

I bought a new Passat CC GT back in 2011 which had the Continental self sealing tyres on it. In my view a worse idea than runflats , if I've got a puncture I want to know about it , the thought of hurltling down the motorway on a tyre that's got a nail in it , sealed or not , is not my idea of driving safely. Do they still make these tyres ????

I have had a run flat repaired before and the way that they resist deformation when punctured is impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom