Changing cars insurance question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dtr

Car
Seat Toledo III 1.9TDI
I am going to change my car soon, and currently am half-way through my insurance with Tesco.

I am paying a bit too much at the moment (27 years, 1-year no claims, no fault accidents and £800 compr. premium :mad:). Focus C-max 1.8tdci would get my a laughable refund it would seem, 1.6 perhaps a bit better (they couldn't find one on the system to check!)

Would it make sense to transfer it to the new car, or should I cancel and shop around?

The reason your insurance is currently expensive is because you only have one year's NCD.

If you change car at the moment, you'll just have to the difference in premium between what you currently drive, and what you're looking to get. As you're half way through the term, it should only be about 50% of that difference, plus a nominal 'admin' charge.

So - stick with the current insurer (unless there's any ridiculous reason to change), then come renewal you'll have two year's NCD and can shop around for the best deal :thumb:

Will

The reason your insurance is currently expensive is because you only have one year's NCD.

...and because Bristol is a fairly expensive area for car insurance (most cities are).

...and because Bristol is a fairly expensive area for car insurance (most cities are).

Of course, but that won't change unless he moves ;)

In reality, all (normal) car insurance is expensive, it's the NCD that will make the most difference.

Get 5 years NCD and you'll get 65/70% discount from most insurers IIRC, quite a substantial chunk of the 'full' premium.

As you've already paid your premium to Tesco dtr, I'd be inclined to stay with them until the end of the policy. I'd then ring around as many insurers as you can for the best quote (I usually take a half day ringing about) - in my experience its better to do this than using price comparison sites - I just use these as a guide and have always beaten the quotes given.

Perhaps I'll try a broker next time.

The comparison sites were a waste of my time. Tesco were more expensive through the engines than they were directly. I managed to get a similar offer from my last years insurer, but they did so many mistakes (like suspending insurance on the wrong car! and more) that I had to move on.

BTW. I live in a fairly quiet part of North West Bristol and the postcode has a good rating. And somehow the didn't charge me 'any more' for parking on street. However if I was a female... that is so unfair!

P.s. did anyone notice any fluctuations through the year, ie. could March be the worst month to renew?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom