Changing Dash Lightbulb on W210

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paresh

Car
W203 C220 CDI
Does anybody know how to replace the dash lightbulbs on a W210? From reading other threads I understand that the panel below the steering wheel can be removed and then the instrument cluster can easily be pushed out. I tried this yesterday but had difficulty removing the panel! I removed all the screws I could see but the panel seems to be held along the centre console edge and also the edge under the steering wheel and I can't seem to detach these edges.

Any help and guidance would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Im sure ive read before about it not being worth the bother to do it yourself incase you break the instrument cluster.

Im sure the person said just to get the dealer to do it and when its out to replace all the bulbs in it.

Should be relatively easy to remove that panel, maybe just needs a bit of 'persuasion'
Pushing the clock cluster out can be more challenging, really need to get a grip from behind and push.....

get yourself a set of instrument cluster removal tools - i got some off eBay - you could make some out of a wire coat hanger, but these work well... there are lugs behind the cluster which you can engage with these tools, and gradually ease it out from side to side - it goes back in on clips

No need to unscrew anything !

S.

DO NOT BUY FROM EBAY, you will pay in excess of 15 quid, they are about 4 quid from any dealer.

oops ! I stand corrected in that case ... I wasn't aware that a dealer would sell them to the general public !

Anyway - I got a handful of bulbs thrown in with mine, so I was quite happy.

If anybody wants to try and get them from a dealer, the part number, as emblazened on mine is :-

140 589 02 33 00

(you will need two of them !!)

Happy cluster pulling !

S.

Thanks guys.

I'll try and get hold of the dash removing tools and take it from there. Trouble is my stealership is not very helpful and they may not let me buy a set. Still, worth a try though.

Jay, it seems that you may have removed your dash from underneath - any hints would be very helpful....

If you can't get any, and can make it to the GTG in August, I'll bring my tools and sort it for you.

(I'm getting quite good at it now ... bulbs keep blowing ! going to just replace the whole lot I think !)

S.

I have experience of gerard mann, anything below 50 quid and they dont care. What i normally do is use either Monarch of tamworth or Evans of leicester as i am close to those too.

They will also post the part to you at no cost.

I havent actually removed for a 210, but i cant see it being any different to any other merc. I cant give you specifics, but youll have to remove the underneath, usually hard to see screws by the handbrake foot pedal and a larger bolt or screw near accelerator. Other screws will be under the steering wheel im guessing.....
Then its a matter of reaching up, getting ure hand behind it and easing it out.... Obviously dont use anything other than your hand to pry it forward as youll end up damaging the cluster....

Is that Gerard Mann in Brum?

"Replace your sidelight bulb? That'll be £23, sir."

I wish I wasn't joking.

Jay and Greg,

My local stealership is Gerard Mann at Birmingham. I agree with you guys totally - absolutley cr*p service! I had to have some insurance work carried out on my previous C180 and I ended up taking it back to them three times to rectify some poor workmanship! They even cracked my windscreen whilst the car was with them and completey denied liabilty. I ended up paying for a new screen. I wouldn't take my car to them if they were the last stealership on earth!!! Don't think I'll use them to change something as trivial as a dash bulb! Like Greg says they'll probably charge a ridiculous amount. And Jay, I agree with you. They're not too bothered about "cheap" jobs!

That's why I'm trying to work out how to do it myself. I can't figure out where to insert the dash removing tools on either side of the instrument cluster. Any help would be appreciated. I'll order the tools tomorrow and take it from there. Probably use Monarch in Tamworth. Thanks Sym for the part numbers.

Paresh

here's a handy step by step guide :D

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sitaylor/cluster.htm

I found that on mine it was not necessary to disconnect the wiring - there was enough cable to turn the cluster enough to change the bulb. If you have an adjustable steering wheel, you need to make sure that it is fully extended outwards. The cluster looks like it will not move out past the wheel, but you need to play with various angles and it will eventually lift out up and to the left.

If your wheel does not adjust - it could be interesting! .. (might not work this way without removing the wheel.)

S.

Last edited:
Sym,

Many thanks for the info.

I'll have a go this weekend and hopefully I won't damage the cluster.

Thanks once again to everybody that replied. Your help is appreciated.

Keep the stealerships away from our wallets eh?!

no worries.

You won't damage it, as long as you pull it out very carefully and slowly, from side to side. You may have to ease the surround in places to help it on its way out - the good news is that putting it back is much easier than taking it out - make sure it "clicks" - fully engages in the clips when replacing it.

S.

Originally posted by sym
make sure it "clicks" - fully engages in the clips when replacing it.
Good advice - when I set off to test the CLK cluster it fell out of the dash board ;)

Good advice - when I set off to test the CLK cluster it fell out of the dash board ;)

LOL, I've just got this mental image of you shooting away from the lights with the instrument cluster on your lap :D

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom