Changing from Km/h on the display

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyjenkins

Car
S204 C250 Sport
My multi function display thingy continues to display the current speed in km/h, despite all settings I can find, being set to Mph.

The one I'm talking about is on the default screen - just under the temperature, to the right of the clock time.

Any idea which setting I need to double check that its set correctly?

There's a digital speedometer option further in the menu option - and that one is in mph - its just this one on the main default screen thats in kmh.

The km/h reading is there because your speedo only displays mph.

The display cannot be changed using the standard cluster options.

You need someone with a STAR system to recode your cars computer to delete UK mode.

Alfie on here is the obvious man for that task, and if you can get to his workshop in Woking I thoroughly recommend it.

Really? Wow! So on a UK model, with all other options on UK measurements, the digial speedometer is in mph on this screen, whereas the digitial speedometer on its own screen is in mph.

Madness.

Your car must be able to display mph and kph at all times. So if your speedo is only in mph then your digital must display kph and cannot be changed. My W210 has a combined mph and kph speedo, so I can choose whether to display mph or kph on the digital.

Legal requirement to have mph and kph displayed at all times in the UK. As the Merc dials only have mph markings, MB set the digital speedo to kph. I had my W203 cluster recoded by Alfie and now keep it set on outside temp most of the time... good times.

I wander how long it'll be before the powers that be in Europe force us to change to KPH... :dk:

If you ever plan to drive abroad you will want KPH to be there.

Are you sure, under the basic options you can switch mine to show K.P.H.
It must be done whilst stationary along with the time etc.

For the avoidance of any doubt, I'm talking about the km/h figure in the red box in the attached image.

7173.jpg

7173.jpg

Last edited:
You need to remove the 'UK mode' from the cluster using STAR as this locks that part of the display to KPH. Once unlocked you can have the speed in either MPH or KPH.

Thanks all. Maybe one day I'll be grateful. Until then, I'll just learn to live with this bizarre decision by MB.

I sont think its Bizarre ay all.

All makes of cars have have MPH and KPH very handy when you are abroad, if they did not do it all us brits abroad would be racking up the fines!

I sont think its Bizarre ay all.

All makes of cars have have MPH and KPH very handy when you are abroad, if they did not do it all us brits abroad would be racking up the fines!

Right, and this car can display mph/kph on other screens how I choose it, just on the main default screen, its hardcoded to kph. If I can change other screens to mph or kph, why not this one ?

If I was going abroad, changing the car into "abroad mode" would hardly be difficult, given the vast configuration options that exist in the car.

Anyhoo; its the tiniest minor bad point that can exist on such a car. I think I can live with it :rolleyes: :bannana:

Just wondered:
If you've had your car 'converted' to non uk, what happens when your car next goes into MB for a Service?

Would they convert it back to UK and charge you for the privelage as it's EU law etc?

Legal requirement to have mph and kph displayed at all times in the UK. As the Merc dials only have mph markings, MB set the digital speedo to kph. I had my W203 cluster recoded by Alfie and now keep it set on outside temp most of the time... good times.

I don't think this is right. Our Espace can show either MPH or KPH, not both together. So assume the law is that it must be available.

If I remember correctly if it is set as non UK you can select it if needed through the trip computer.

Just wondered:
If you've had your car 'converted' to non uk, what happens when your car next goes into MB for a Service?

Would they convert it back to UK and charge you for the privelage as it's EU law etc?

No!

Had mine done 3yrs ago, service never touched it. I doubt they know how..

I don't think this is right. Our Espace can show either MPH or KPH, not both together. So assume the law is that it must be available.

If I remember correctly if it is set as non UK you can select it if needed through the trip computer.

Correct.

The requirement is for the ability to show kph when required, i.e. driving on the Continent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom