Changing ISP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldcro

MB Enthusiast
Car
Range Rover Sport 3.0 HSE
I was with Tiscali at £14.99 per month, which became Talktalk and the price went up to £21.60 a month. Most of the increase was due to not taking out their full phone package instead of just the Internet service, or paying more for less or else.

Well I am not happy to say the least at being held to ransum by any company, so would like to change my ISP provider, and here is my problem.

What happens to all the people and companies who have my Tiscali address? Do I have to inform everyone of the change of address, or is there some automated method of doing this. I thought of using a Hotmail or Live address for the interim period, but could never remember everyone who might want the new address.

Any advice to help me get out of Talktalk's greedy hands much appreciated.

Is your Tiscali email address web based? In other words can you access it from anyones computer? If so why can't you keep it? I'm with Aol and if I leave them I can still access it via the web. In my case I use an email client ( outlook)

Once the OP leaves Tiscali, the e-mail address will become null and void.

Oldcro, if you hit "reply all" you will only have to do one e-mail and everyone in your contacts will get it.

Once the OP leaves Tiscali, the e-mail address will become null and void.

Oldcro, if you hit "reply all" you will only have to do one e-mail and everyone in your contacts will get it.

Good idea, that covers one group but leaves companies who contact via email like the council, bank etc. I was hoping there was some miracle method of changing ISP's painlessly.

If you move house the Post Office will re-direct your mail so how about ISP's being made to provide a similar service. After all we are at an age when a photo can be sent from Australia in 0.1 seconds to your local exchange, and then take 5 minutes to travel the last 2 miles.:rolleyes:

This is why it's best to purchase a domian and re-direct your e-mail from that.

oldcro.co.uk is available for about £2.50 a year. :D

Suprised ticalli kill off you e-mail address straight away - any chance of dropping back to PAYG dial-up (and then dialing in just once every couple of months to keep the account active?) I did that with freeserve for years.

This is why it's best to purchase a domian and re-direct your e-mail from that.

oldcro.co.uk is available for about £2.50 a year. :D

Suprised ticalli kill off you e-mail address straight away - any chance of dropping back to PAYG dial-up (and then dialing in just once every couple of months to keep the account active?) I did that with freeserve for years.

Thanks Steve, I like the sound of the PAYG idea. Will investigate it further.

Hi Oldcro,

I am in the process of leaving BlahBlah and part of choosing my next ISP was to visit the SamKnows website. This will tell you which ISP company has their own equipment installed at your nearest exchange. I chose O2 which should (in theory) provide a faster, better service)

I like to change ISP and email addresses once in a while as it gets rid of all the crap that finds its way into my inbox.

get o2 payg sim card or i can introduce u we both get £20!!, u get 5mb unlimited access for £8 half price for u for first 6 months, not bad service voted best ip and all that.

but if u have cable/virgin in yr area total package is £16 internet phone tv.

i use for my rented proprties with 50mb access it is good marketing thing

get o2 payg sim card or i can introduce u we both get £20!!, u get 5mb unlimited access for £8 half price for u for first 6 months, not bad service voted best ip and all that.

but if u have cable/virgin in yr area total package is £16 internet phone tv.

i use for my rented proprties with 50mb access it is good marketing thing

Thanks dinoy but I don't use a mobile, the PAYG was for dial-up internet access.

Hi Oldcro,

I am in the process of leaving BlahBlah and part of choosing my next ISP was to visit the SamKnows website. This will tell you which ISP company has their own equipment installed at your nearest exchange. I chose O2 which should (in theory) provide a faster, better service)

I like to change ISP and email addresses once in a while as it gets rid of all the crap that finds its way into my inbox.

My exchange has BT Wholesale as the sole provider, so thinking of changing to BT as my next ISP.

I used to have a dialup account (via modem) with Tiscali..I still have my email with them, it doesn't cost a penny, and it is my main email address, even though I have used BT as my ISP, and I've recently switched to Virgin Media.

The main problem was with SMTP authentication - this IS handled by your new ISP because you should get your email client to log into to their SMTP server which enables you to send emails out.
(They'll help you through this process, but if you get stuck send me an IM)

I used to have a dialup account (via modem) with Tiscali..I still have my email with them, it doesn't cost a penny, and it is my main email address, even though I have used BT as my ISP, and I've recently switched to Virgin Media.

The main problem was with SMTP authentication - this IS handled by your new ISP because you should get your email client to log into to their SMTP server which enables you to send emails out.
(They'll help you through this process, but if you get stuck send me an IM)

Would setting up your account as a POP account get over the SMTP problem?

I use POP to receive and SMTP to send - standard practice I believe.
I use SMTP to send and receive on my Imac and Ipod and POP to receive on Windows 7 laptop. The reason is by using POP the email is stored on the laptop so I can read them on the other two devices but once I load Outlook on the laptop it grabs them all and wipes them off the server.

...once I load Outlook on the laptop it grabs them all and wipes them off the server.
This is an option though, it doesn't have to wipe them unless you're specifically intending to do this.

I also have several old Tiscali and LineOne e-mail addresses, even though I'm with another ISP now. The trick may be to ask TalkTalk to move your e-mail address to a PAYG dial up service so you can keep your e-mail after moving ISP. Then you just access your e-mail account for free through an e-mail client with SMTP/POP3 or IMAP.

Changing e-mail accounts regularly does have the advantage of reducing the volume of junk mail. If you go down this route then notify everyone to whom you have sent an e-mail in the last two years, or everyone in your address book, or both. Also remember to change the e-mail address that you used when registering on various web sites.

Very helpful replies, thanks. I think a gradual change to a web address is the answer, then I could change ISP's without any problems. In my ideal world ISP's should be made to automatically forward all email to a new address for say 6 months. This would make changing easier and promote more competition, thus reducing prices.

I have used Yahoo as an email service for many years (irrespective of ISP). The web client is pretty good too ... very handy being able to log straight in from any PC with a browser.

Thanks dinoy but I don't use a mobile, the PAYG was for dial-up internet access.

if u have already o2 mobile contract fine, the payg o2 sim card entitle to 30% on their home broadband range all they want for u to be a customer the fact that u do not use is another matter. then u get the broadband upto 7mb and unlimited for 7.50 per month

if u want i recommend u get a further £20 bonus and first 3 or 6 months it is half the price.

i use it quite alright

I use the £7.50 per month O2 home broadband now ... pretty good. It's still only £12.50 if you don't have an O2 mobile phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom