Changing KPH tp MPH

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
E 220CDI Estate
When my car is showing basic display, the digital speed is expressed in kph, is it possible to change that to mph?

I never drive abroad, so the kph is of no use to me.

I doubt it, Smart Roadsters are the same. UK regulations say we have to have both MPH and KPH displays although the rest of Europe get just KPH!

Kate

On the 203 you need STAR to remove UK Mode. This will then allow one to select whether to display mph or kph

UK regs require the ability to display either.

STAR is MB diagnostic system. Computer plugs into your car and error codes read/reset and option enabled etc..

You will have to find a knowledgeable independent as almost certainly the dealer will not do this for you (probably doesn't know how!)

This is based on the C class 203, I'm not sure exactly how the E deals with these settings

Last edited:
I doubt it, Smart Roadsters are the same. UK regulations say we have to have both MPH and KPH displays although the rest of Europe get just KPH!

Kate

Wrong. Just says that car must be capable of displaying KM's. Hence our Espace with digital speedo that can change to either option.

My car is still under warranty, so I use a main dealer for servicing until the warranty has expired.

If I can find an indie to change the kph to mph will the main dealer change it back again when it goes in for service?

They haven't done so on my car!

Depending on how young your car is it might require an MB passcode to change anything.

You are in Surrey, give comand.co.uk a call. They are very knowledgeable where STAR is concerned

Wrong. Just says that car must be capable of displaying KM's. Hence our Espace with digital speedo that can change to either option.

I know when we import LHD fortwos one of the things we have to fit is a KPH/MPH speedo and write to VOSA confirming that the car displays both readings (we also have to state that there are no rear seats so don't need rear seat belts :doh: ) I guess it's something easy to change on the Espace that the consumer can do as opposed to the MB system of needing a STAR to do it?

Kate

I know when we import LHD fortwos one of the things we have to fit is a KPH/MPH speedo and write to VOSA confirming that the car displays both readings (we also have to state that there are no rear seats so don't need rear seat belts :doh: ) I guess it's something easy to change on the Espace that the consumer can do as opposed to the MB system of needing a STAR to do it?

Kate

Once UK mode has been deleted using STAR one can select kph or mph using the cluster menu and steering wheel buttons.

Alfie at Comand changed mine so it displayed the outside temperature rather then kph. much more useful...

Alfie at Comand changed mine so it displayed the outside temperature rather then kph. much more useful...

Agreed :thumb:

And it's easy enough to flick back to kph should the need arise :cool:

If your normal speedo does not have both mph and kph then the digital must display kph. Over here the centralised, Government run MOT centres will check those cars that do not have the traditional speedos to make sure they are displaying KPH elsewhere.

If your normal speedo does not have both mph and kph then the digital must display kph. Over here the centralised, Government run MOT centres will check those cars that do not have the traditional speedos to make sure they are displaying KPH elsewhere.

Remember to select to display kph before the MoT..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom