Changing Mode whilst on the move

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charliecloud

Car
AMG E63 S212
I have read that you should not switch from Comfort to Sport, Sport + or M whilst the car is in motion. Is that correct? If it is why?

My wife drives a Vitara 4WD and that can be switched into Sport mode whilst on the move and my last a car a Lexus ISF could be switched to Sport whilst driving.

Seems odd to me that a AMG E63 shouldn't or can't be switched whilst moving

I have read that you should not switch from Comfort to Sport, Sport + or M whilst the car is in motion. Is that correct?
No, it's incorrect.
It can happily be switched between modes while driving without any harm.

I have read that you should not switch from Comfort to Sport, Sport + or M whilst the car is in motion. Is that correct? If it is why?

My wife drives a Vitara 4WD and that can be switched into Sport mode whilst on the move and my last a car a Lexus ISF could be switched to Sport whilst driving.

Did you read that it can’t be changed over whilst moving in the manual ?

On the W204 C63 it says that you should be stationary whilst changing to Manual mode. However I've read that you could do that whilst driving. I've never dared to try.
Here's Doug DeMuro doing it on the black series I think (17.14 in the link) =
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Although the 204 C63 manual says to be stationary to change mode I change on the move with no ill effect. You can be sympathetic though and not switch whilst it's changing or about to change.

I'm sure that I've read in the manual that you shouldn't change whilst on the move, but , as others, I've changed mode on the move for over 4 years with no problems.

Tried it today on way to and from a service - works just fine, what's not to love about the auto blipper :D

The mode switch is electronic and therefore could easily be designed to prevent the mode being changed whilst in gear, so I wouldn’t worry too much.

I’ve never heard of this requirement before, although to be fair I very very very rarely change mode - I find comfort the best mode for me.

I've been told that the 204 C63 should be stationary to go in/out of M, the rest should be ok. No idea why, it is only changing the parameters of an electric/electronic system after all.
Have gone in and out of M on the move (before I was told!) with no problems

Never had any issues changing whilst on the move in the w204 or 205

I’ve noticed that the engine goes hot (110C+) while cruising in town on S+ so I only use C unless spirited driving.

seems very odd - i change mine regularly when on the move and also from auto to manual on the move - surely if you weren't meant to do it then a software update could be applied to prevent this and put a warning up - can't think of any other manufacturer who advises against chaning on the move ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom