Changing number plate illumination lights on a W202.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve_Perry

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS350CDI Grand Edition
It was pointed out to me recently ;) that one of my lights that illuminate the rear number plate is not working.

What's the best way to replace the bulb? take off the exterior plastic trim just above the plate that houses the bulbs(4x philips head screws) or to remove the entire interior lining of the boot lid (plastic trim clips and the clip that holds the triangle)?

What really gets me is that my dash warning light didn't come on :confused: and normally that is so sensitive it can tell me up to 4 days in advance as to when a bulb is likely to fail :rolleyes: Looks like it dropped the ball on this one.

Cheers guys,

S.

The 4 exterior screws is the way to go I think........what bulbs are you going to fit?

Super Blue Plasma LEDs, Xenons, Yellow tint or Bright White?? :p

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
.....what bulbs are you going to fit?

Super Blue Plasma LEDs, Xenons, Yellow tint or Bright White?? :p
Hmm hadn't thought of that... where could I fit the balasts if I went for Xenons? :p :devil:

*EDIT* Heh we shouldn't kid... found this
3022 and 4211 Festoon Base Bulbs
31 x 10 mm Festoon base with 2 or 4 LEDS 12~14 VDC specs
42 x 11 mm Festoon base with 6 LEDS specs
Available in Red White Blue Amber UV (BlackLight) and Green
Available with 2 or 4 LEDS (the LEDS all aim in the same direction)

3022r.jpg
3022g.jpg
3022b.jpg

Heh thanks G.

S.

Last edited:
....doesn't it tell you in the manual how to replace the bulbs ?

Hey - the green ones look good . . . . ;)

S.

Originally posted by sym
....doesn't it tell you in the manual how to replace the bulbs ?

Hey - the green ones look good . . . . ;)

S.
Sym, To quote the manual...
Licence Plate Lamps

Saloon

Do not change bulbs yourself. Work on the registration plate lamp should only be carried out by trained staff.
:rolleyes: Typical eh? :p *Kerching!!* Hark... I hear Arkwright's till rattling in the corner.

S.

WHAAAAAT ?!

Xenon Headlamps . . maybe . . . due to the high output . . . but number plate lamps ! hmmmmm.......

kerr-ching indeed !

Do it yourself . . and be sure to post a "HOWTO ! "

S.

D'Oh hehe couldn't you have posted that earlier GDC? hehe I've done it now, I undid the four exterior screws then did them up again :rolleyes:

I only partially removed the interior lid liner and folded it out the way to access and change the bulbs, no need for removing the triangle locator.

Thanks for posting though :)

S.

Here's what I did, with some naff piccies.

Left Lamp failed:
Left%20plate%20light%20fail%20blanked.jpg

I only removed those clips above the boot lid hinges, there should be 6x, that's 3x each side. This means you don't have to remove the triangle bracket or any clips on the bottom edge of the boot lid below the hinges:
Remove%20clips.jpg

Clips%20removed.jpg

Clips%20removed2.jpg

By folding back the cloth trim, it's quite flexible, you can gain access to the number plate bulb housings:
plate%20lights%20inside.jpg

Reverse process to put back together:
plate%20lights%20working%20blanked.jpg

S.

Well done Steve ... you can consider yourself a "trained" member of staff now !!

s.

Originally posted by GDC200
Sorry Steve, I remembered it was in my Haynes manual!
Ah ha, no worries mate :) A shame the W202 Haynes manual explicitly states - "Does not cover the V6 models" I don't think they cover the Kompressor either if memory serves me correctly.

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom