Changing Phone in Comand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

db1

Hi,

I have a MY2000 S class which uses the Nokia 6150 phone as standard. However I also have another car in which there is a new Nokia 6210. Is there any way of modifying the phone bracket in the S class to use this new phone. It would save me having 2 physical phones in use.

Any advice much appreciated.

DB

You can get a clip which will hold the 6210/6310(i) phones in the 6150 holder.

HOWEVER, the 6210 will not function/work in your S-Class as you will need to upgrade the PSE controller to the new 6210/6310 controller.

I have upgraded the PSE controller in my CL to the 6210 one, however the new 6310i controller is now out.

I maybe looking to dump the 6210 controller for the new 6310 controller in the near future.

I need to check on some prices, because right now I have a 6210, but I can get a 6310i through a deal with my telco, I think there is a 6210 controller compatible unit waiting for me in NL to be added to my comand setup (see recent armrest mods for more info ;) ) but this won't work with the 6310i (dunno why cause they're practically the same phone) so I don't know whether to keep the 6210 or get the 6310i :confused:

Thanks - is upgrading the controller something simple or does this require MB or someone experienced to do this?

Also, where are the aux inputs for the COMAND located? I have had a quick look but cannot find them. Lastly, how do you "switch" the inputs to Aux for the TV or Audio?

thanks

DB

Personaly I would keep th 6150 in the car, and use the 6310i or other phone when out the car. All my calls then forward to my car when I switch off my other phone.

The main reason is the 6150 controller gives no extra functionality to COMAND over the 6310i controller, just convenience. However with the 6310i controler being over £300 it's a high price to pay!

I upgraded COMAND to the latest software and get all the SMS, note book and related features from both the 6150 and 6210 controllers anyway, so i'm in no rush to upgrade to the 6310i controller. (even though my everyday phone is the Nokia 6310i)

Im on my third 6310.

Ive had a 6310 , which was full of bugs.

I had a 6310i , which was great and i used it loads when i was in america , so the triband does make the diference.

and now im onto another 6310i which has the newer software which now comes shiped with all new ones.

I use the nokia Cark91 in my car and have not problems with it.

It is a great phone and having had a 6210 before as well , its a real improvement over it for functionality.:bannana:

Maff,

A couple of questions:

1. How do you upgrade the COMAND s/w? Do you have a CD from MB to do this?
2. I actually checked the other phone and I made a mistake, it is actually the 6310i and not the 6210 that I have. I guess the answer is the same, ie upgrade the clip and the controller. Who could do this for me? Do you know a dealer/independent with this experience?

thanks

DB

It is quite easy to do.
I think it's under the drivers side rear seat on the S-Class, the same place as the CL.

COMAND 2.5 (CL and S-class) do not have AUX inputs like COMANDS in other MB's unfortunatly, thus why you can't switch to AUX for Audio.

For TV, this can be done from the menu after pressing the TV button, and selecting AUX from in here.

Hope this helps!

EDIT - to change to drivers side above.

Originally posted by db1
Thanks - is upgrading the controller something simple or does this require MB or someone experienced to do this?

Also, where are the aux inputs for the COMAND located? I have had a quick look but cannot find them. Lastly, how do you "switch" the inputs to Aux for the TV or Audio?

thanks

DB

Where, are you based? I have the latest COMAND software.

If you want a trustworthly company to do it, try www.braybrooks.co.uk and ask for Neil. I think they charge £120 labour plus parts to upgrade the phone PSE and clip.

Originally posted by db1
Maff,

A couple of questions:

1. How do you upgrade the COMAND s/w? Do you have a CD from MB to do this?
2. I actually checked the other phone and I made a mistake, it is actually the 6310i and not the 6210 that I have. I guess the answer is the same, ie upgrade the clip and the controller. Who could do this for me? Do you know a dealer/independent with this experience?

thanks

DB

I am in SW London Surrey, so Braybrooks is doable for me. I will give them a call, thanks.

In terms of the COMAND s/w, is it possible to get a CD of this?

I assume you just load the CD and press a magic key combination to reload the s/w.

Would be great if this is possible.

thanks

DB

Hi,

Yes, you should be able to order the CD from your dealers parts dept. I'll see if i can find the part number for you.

I have borrowed the software disk off of a friend and your welcome to use it to upgrade your car if your in my area (Maidenhead).

Maff,

thats sounds great - how can I get hold of you to arrange a suitable time to do this.

I assume it only takes a few minutes - is that correct?

thanks for the offer - much appreciated.

DB

It takes about 30 mins on average. I had a few hiccups that I sorted out when doing my CL that maybe seen on your MY2000 S (early COMANDS don't seem to upgrade as well as the newer ones for some reason)

e-mail me on [email protected] and we can arrange details. I'm arround all day this monday and tuesday, and most evenings.

Originally posted by Maff
It takes about 30 mins on average. I had a few hiccups that I sorted out when doing my CL that maybe seen on your MY2000 S (early COMANDS don't seem to upgrade as well as the newer ones for some reason)

I updated mine last weekend, scary operation!

DO NOT OPEN THE CAR DOORS! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO START THE ENGINE! etc

nearly scared me to death! In the end I opened the car door and it made no difference, so I left it updating and went back into the house, it doesn't require the key to be in etc.

Originally posted by Shude
I updated mine last weekend, scary operation!

DO NOT OPEN THE CAR DOORS! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO START THE ENGINE! etc

nearly scared me to death! In the end I opened the car door and it made no difference, so I left it updating and went back into the house, it doesn't require the key to be in etc.

I know. The early 2.5 COMANDS have a habit of switching off once the update starts and keeping the CD. You can not get the CD out. It took a bit of effort to get the CD ejected last time!

Hi Matt

Just to recap, areyou saying that the nokia 6310i phone will work ok with the Comand Nokia 6210 interface? What is the difference between that and the latest 6310i interface - apart from price!:)

I'm going to be adding phone functionality to my comand soon. (Already got the Becker CD to work)

Originally posted by steve_bcs
Hi Matt

Just to recap, areyou saying that the nokia 6310i phone will work ok with the Comand Nokia 6210 interface? What is the difference between that and the latest 6310i interface - apart from price!:)

I'm going to be adding phone functionality to my comand soon. (Already got the Becker CD to work)

NO! :)

The Nokia 6310i will ONLY work with the 6310 MB controller.

The 6310 controller will support the 6210, and 6150 also.

The 6210 controller will only support the 6210 and 6150 phones. :(

Originally posted by steve_bcs
What is the difference between that and the latest 6310i interface - apart from price!:)

Nothing, just the price!! (Plus a load of curcuits inside the controller) They look the same to look at.

Regarding the price of the 6310i interface/controller, I am sure my local dealer quoted £185 today . Matt, do you have the part number please so I can double check. They are also avail from megacomm for equivalant of £187 ish

It is probably possible to have the prompt in the 6210 controller updated to make it compateable with the 6310 phone...which still costs quiet a bit though...

Nick, we will sort the controller out when you are here...the 6210 controller is already gone (in updated condition :) ).

greetingz,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom