Changing rear coil spring on 07 cls 320 cdi advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercmancdi

MB Enthusiast
Car
mercedes E320 cdi sport ,vw Tiguan R line , M B cls , bmw convertible
Going to fit new springs in rear of my 07 cls 320 , I usually disconnected all joints at wheel to drop arm down to get spring out But guy said today if use single spring clamp up centre of spring and only take the one bolt out of bottom arm at the inner mount
( not at wheel ) then with the spring clamped it comes out easy. tjis should be much easier that letting off all connections at the back of hub , anyone done this or suggest easiest way.
thanks.

Agree with using the centered spring compressor.
I did similar to what you are suggesting and had quite the difficult time of it.
To make matters worse the springs I received were incorrect. I had the correct set installed at the dealer and returned the wrong ones for a refund.
Buy, borrow or rent the spring compressor.
My $0.02.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was going to use single internal as the pair type are not so easy.

I did similar to what you are suggesting and had quite the difficult time of it.
To make matters worse the springs I received were incorrect. I had the correct set installed at the dealer and returned the wrong ones for a refund.
My $0.02.

What was your problem, was it the bolts.

My $0.02.

What was your problem, was it the bolts.

What I have done in the past with some MB models is to jack up the car high at the back on axle stands or blocks [ you are doing both springs natch??] then on one side support the spring arm on a trolley/pit jack- take the remaining spring tension off the inner bolt by jacking up slightly but not enough to start jacking the whole car up! Then with the suspension arm supported remove the inner bolt---then lower the suspension arm slowly on the jack till the spring literally falls out- replacement is the opposite process. It can be done with care without internal spring compressors as the rear springs are smaller but its not recommended! The secret is to have lots of clearance to work under the car by getting it high on axle stands or on a lift/ over a pit

What are the correct Length rear springs for an 07 350 CGI ?
i just had the rear springs replaced after one snapped, and back from the garage, the car is now off-roader height.
before the spring failed, I could get two fingers between tyre and top of the arch, now I can get my whole hand in the gap.

i just had the rear springs replaced after one snapped, and back from the garage, the car is now off-roader height.
before the spring failed, I could get two fingers between tyre and top of the arch, now I can get my whole hand in the gap.
The springs have coloured dots on them that need to be matched to the new ones

Mercedes will have used your VIN number to work out the correct spring colour code for your car-thats assuming it was on the original springs ??- the colour coded stripes on the existing springs are always the best guide as said already

I wouldn't go by spring length as others have said.
Looking on Autodoc for example which might not be the best option but springs lengths are very varied as it will also be based on spring coil thickness etc.
The height is usually controlled by the rubber mount that has between 1-4 dots on which are varying thicknesses assuming you have the correct type of spring of course.

Here is a link to a recent thread regarding this - W203 Rear spring rubbing. | Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension

They do claim to have checked the coloured dot codes and got the same replacements, but they certainly don’t seem to be So. They are now double checking to let me know tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom