Changing struts on a W168

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pallasar

Car
W168 A140 Elegance
Hi guys,

Just a quick question....for anyone who has changed struts on a w168 a class, does the wheel alignment need re setting afterwards?

From what I can see its the two small bolts on the top mount, and the two big bolts at the bottom of the leg.....which dont seems to have any room for adjustment.

Is it really that simple?!

Before I dive in, some experiences based advice would be appreciated please ;)

Last edited:
There's one more thing to add here - these McPhersons struts often fitted wrong way round in W168, even by experienced garages (happened to me once, started knocking after two months).

Here's a little pic I saved, courtesy of Des (Forrera), it's pretty self-explanatory:

W168%20Top%20Mount_zpsd6boue9c.jpg

Interesting as mine knocks on the osf. Sounds like a job ill tackle I think...

The top mount is likely shot, as the subframe was so rotten on that front corner that the wishbone wasn't even attached at the front!

No doubt the whole suspension assembly on that side had been working overtime for a while. New subframe has now been fitted BTW

Changing the struts on the A class is pretty straight forward. From memory

remove wheel
undo ARB link nut on the shock and push link out of the way
Undo the two large (18mm I think) nuts / bolts securing the strut to the wheel assembly
Undo the two torx bolts holding the mounts (under the bonnet)
Squeeze the two white plastic studs together to release the strut downwards.
Strut should then be easily accessible.

Paint mark the top mount as stated it only goes on one way, creaking whilst turning the steering when finished will indicate it has been done wrong and will need a new top mount, you will need your camber checking after the job is done as one bolt hole is elongated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom