Changing the Antifreeze to Pink

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shabazmo

Car
Mercedes W123 280CE
I am looking to change the coolant antifreeze in my 1985 Mercedes C123 280CE. I want to put in a pink Antifreeze which is formulated based on a inhibitor development combining glycerin and silicates with OAT technology which has extended life. (ethylene-glycol-based product),

Has anyone made this change or can advise on its merits or pitfalls.
Thanks

Some older cars just arent compatible with the newer pink antifreeze, it can actually cause damage to the engine and seals, i would want to ask mercedes personally before i did that

I used pink oat in my old rover 600 with Honda engine for 8 years, never had an issue, the stuff I have in car now is lime green, met mb specs, I changed when I got car and again 2 years later.

I would def check specs with mb for your car

I personally think if it meets spec it's ok, what I don't agree with like oil is the extended life span of some, so I just change every few years

Iv always been curious on the waterless coolant, just never seem to get around to testing it

I’d be inclined to stick with the same type coolant/antifreeze as whatever is currently in there - if it’s been in there for 30/40 years without issues then why change now? :)

Not original, I changed it with new thermostat around 5-6 years.
I would appear pink antifreeze is OK

Thank you for your comments everyone. I will be changing for the pink antifreeze used by VW/Audi which has a 10 year life span.

Thank you for your comments everyone. I will be changing for the pink antifreeze used by VW/Audi which has a 10 year life span.

The m102 engine in your car is known for corrosion of the cylinder head, I would advise that you keep green or blue antifreeze in your engine.

The red antifreeze will react badly to the metals and seals in your engine.

Thanks Carat. My engine is M110.988, but that probably makes no difference. Iron block and aluminium head. I came across the link below which strengthens your argument, so thanks. I will just buy direct from Mercedes for now.

I was trying to use the red ethylene Glycol red stuff, G12evo used for Audi's which I have 3 cars in my garage, to save stocking a different antifreeze.

Thanks Carat. My engine is M110.988, but that probably makes no difference. Iron block and aluminium head. I came across the link below which strengthens your argument, so thanks. I will just buy direct from Mercedes for now.

I was trying to use the red ethylene Glycol red stuff, G12evo used for Audi's which I have 3 cars in my garage, to save stocking a different antifreeze.
No problem, green or blue is fine for you to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom