Changing the gear shifter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rashman

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK
Hey guys,

I was thinking of changing my gear shifter.

I really want one of the new style shifters - the square-looking ones with the hole through it.

Thing is, I'm not sure if it'll fit.

I'm awaiting some feedback from the dealers and also the guys on the PL but I have a feeling it won't work.

The dealers reckon it can be done but they are going to double check and get back to me tomorrow.

Are there any other shifters that will work on the 209 CLK if the above mentioned won't fit?

Lots of views, no posts :(

No one had any experience swapping out the gear shifter in a 209?

Karl, YOU must have, surely! ;)

The parts manager and team at the dealers are still working out what the options are. I'm waiting to hear from them.

Just wondered if any of you lot had done this or know whether it is possible to do

:thumb:

In my view...talk to the car about it for a couple of days, turn the heat up in the garage...and if she doesn't sulk...go for it.:D

In my view...talk to the car about it for a couple of days, turn the heat up in the garage...and if she doesn't sulk...go for it.:D

Lol... Will do, my good man :D

I was just thinking about installing the new type shifter, that's all.

Just not sure if it's possible.

Need to find out before buying it.

Lol... Will do, my good man :D

I was just thinking about installing the new type shifter, that's all.

Just not sure if it's possible.

Need to find out before buying it.

Can't help, sorry.;)

Apparently, it is not possible :(

The only one that might/ should work is the CLK Black Series shifter.

So I will look into that.

Lots of views, no posts :(

No one had any experience swapping out the gear shifter in a 209?

Karl, YOU must have, surely! ;)

The parts manager and team at the dealers are still working out what the options are. I'm waiting to hear from them.

Just wondered if any of you lot had done this or know whether it is possible to do

:thumb:

Just seen this,

Open the ashtray thing, then with a flathead screwdriver or a trim removal tool (£2 off eBay) pull the surround upwards from the back of it. - you can do it with your nails but you risk ripping them off!

Then, with the surround hanging from the leather twist the knob 45 degrees and it should pull off. you will get an idea of the clip etc. The 2 visible holes are for the stop/start button cabling.

If you sell your facelift knob let me know.

Just seen this,

Open the ashtray thing, then with a flathead screwdriver or a trim removal tool (£2 off eBay) pull the surround upwards from the back of it. - you can do it with your nails but you risk ripping them off!

Then, with the surround hanging from the leather twist the knob 45 degrees and it should pull off. you will get an idea of the clip etc. The 2 visible holes are for the stop/start button cabling.

If you sell your facelift knob let me know.

Heeey, Karl my good man!

Thanks for posting up.

I think I will be looking into getting the Black Series shifter and gate.

... My garage is starting to fill up with things with your name on them :D

anything can be made to fit Rash, bit it will look odd IMO as the shifter stalk is to long on ur mota.

anything can be made to fit Rash, bit it will look odd IMO as the shifter stalk is to long on ur mota.

^ This, cant see it working myself without taking a hacksaw to the stem.

Hey Alps, Karl,

I think the Black Series shifter stalk is the same as mine.

The only thing different is the shifter handle and the gate.

I have been in talks with the guys at Maidstone and they have pulled up schematics and believe it should be a straight swap.

I will look into it more though.

Here is a picture of the Black Series shifter.

You will see that the handle sits quite high.

I can't tell for sure whether it's at the same height as mine without seeing it in person though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom