Changing transmission fluid and filter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Arn`t B boxes these fancy CVT things? If it was an ordinary 722 box, I`d say good for another 20k miles.

Arn`t B boxes these fancy CVT things? If it was an ordinary 722 box, I`d say good for another 20k miles.
I checked. On the Indian page, it's listed as a 7 speed transmission.
If CVT new mb fluid would be required and servicing is very frequent. Here they want us to come in at 15K (unofficially), due to stop and go traffic.

For the other transmissions, it's a very long interval. Nevertheless, every fluid expires in its stock condition within a container from a range of 2 years to 5 years. How can it survive inside a running component longer than the manufacturer dependent 2 to 5 year window?

Unused oil is good for 2Y to 5Y, if stored correctly.
For Used oil be your own judge, or go by MB standards.

I've known people drive non amg diesel MB sedans and never once change the transmission oil in 10 years of ownership with factory first oil. Then there are those same people who change engine oil at the end of the year regardless of mileage. A few I have known change engine oil every 3 years due to low mileage.

Mercedes-Benz recommends a set standard, globally engineers have another set standard, then there are these mechanics who have their own standards. Later there are personal standard, which are dangerous at times.

Well those CVT boxes need frequant atf changes,I run a Citroen DS5 auto,and that has a Aisin box which is owned by Toyota now it is a proper auto box 6 speed in my case but they make a 8 speed,these boxes are small,made like that so they fit onto the side of a transverse engine in lots of cars,Volvo use them as well as other makes,the crazy thing is they say sealed for life,thats bonkers when our car got to 35 grand I thought the box was not working as it should,so I bought 10 litres of the correct ATF,then the fun begins,because you can only drain 3 litres at a time,so you add 3 lires run the car drain another 3 litres and then do it all over again,believe me the ATF that came out was black it looked like engine oil,there is also no filter in the box.I have added about 10 thousand on the car and will change the atf again soon.

Well those CVT boxes need frequant atf changes,I run a Citroen DS5 auto,and that has a Aisin box which is owned by Toyota now it is a proper auto box 6 speed in my case but they make a 8 speed,these boxes are small,made like that so they fit onto the side of a transverse engine in lots of cars,Volvo use them as well as other makes,the crazy thing is they say sealed for life,thats bonkers when our car got to 35 grand I thought the box was not working as it should,so I bought 10 litres of the correct ATF,then the fun begins,because you can only drain 3 litres at a time,so you add 3 lires run the car drain another 3 litres and then do it all over again,believe me the ATF that came out was black it looked like engine oil,there is also no filter in the box.I have added about 10 thousand on the car and will change the atf again soon.
It's worse on our Honda's with high frequency CVT. I use only Motul CVT. The one from idemitsu starts to show signs of vibrations after 8K to 10K KM.

It's worse on our Honda's with high frequency CVT. I use only Motul CVT. The one from idemitsu starts to show signs of vibrations after 8K to 10K KM.
What ???
You get gearbox vibrations after 5000 miles ??
I very much doubt that transmission oil is your problem, you would need to change it every 6 months.

I had a CVT box in a volvo 440 many years ago. Box always started to fall apart every 40k miles. After the 2nd box overhaul i got shot of the car. Biggest weak point ever on that car.

A fella last week where I went for my box service paid £220 for his 7g+ service.

Stockton on tees they also have access to mercedes service sheets and add your gearbox service to it. There are others at boldon and Sunderland who could do yours for you.

I've been servicing my own mercs for 12 years , if you ever need an oil change ,bring the parts , £20 . Should save you a few Bob.
Cheers 👍

What ???
You get gearbox vibrations after 5000 miles ??
I very much doubt that transmission oil is your problem, you would need to change it every 6 months.
I had a CVT box in a volvo 440 many years ago. Box always started to fall apart every 40k miles. After the 2nd box overhaul i got shot of the car. Biggest weak point ever on that car.
Headache with all 1st gen up until the 4th gen CVT on all Honda cars. If you had one you would know. Strange double filtration system, difficult to get them serviced. Clean oil always keeps it going. Renault, Nissan and MB CVT is stronger, yet still requires frequent servicing.

Fair comments , I wondered about mine tbh , only 20k on the clock. Reading into it leads me to believe temperature changes cause condensation to build up inside the gearbox ,so effectively introducing water into the oil. Could be much about nothing ,but I'm sure mb will of done some development to recommend a change after 5 years regardless of mileage.
Condensation mixing with the oil in a sealed gearbox ?
Is that possible ?

I saw a youtube video of a damaged MB transmission (ML or GLC I think) from a rainwater leak on the scuttle allowing water to run on to the top of the gearbox and in through the breather .
Hence the breather lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom