Changing w204 shock absorbers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sceh

Car
w123 240TD
I have a W204 2011 diesel and think it needs new shocks;
Is is possible to change just the shocks without messing with the springs or do I need a spring compressor (which I have for other cars but not sure it will fo the job here having looked at the manual).
Alternatively, I have seen units where the spring is mounted on the shocker already (at least for the front).
Any advice welcome!
thanks

You will need to compress the front springs.
Find a local garage who will do that for you as it needs a serious compressor...

You will need to compress the front springs.
Find a local garage who will do that for you as it needs a serious compressor...
So I need to dismount the shock and spring as a unit and get them to put the new shocker in the spring? Ordinary spring compressors won't hack it or is it just a question of danger?
thanks

So I need to dismount the shock and spring as a unit and get them to put the new shocker in the spring? Ordinary spring compressors won't hack it or is it just a question of danger?
thanks
yes yes yes

1647361838102.png You could buy a set of 'Widow makers' and DIY . Personally I would remove the front struts and pay a local garage that has a proper spring compressing unit to do it for me. The rears are DIY without needing to compress the spring.

Let us know how you get on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom