Changing Wifey's Car - Need advice on replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

High-Lo

MB Enthusiast
Car
2013 X166 Mercedes GL350, Porsche 911 Carrera 4 Cabriolet, Porsche 968 Cabriolet
Our Renault Scenic 1.9dCi is coming up to three years old and its time to change. Here are our choices:

1. Dodge Caliber 2.0 CRD SXT Sport (already test driven and impressed)
2. Mercedes B180CDi
3. (Another) Renault Scenic 1.9dCi

Only pre-requisites for all 3 are that its new, black with air con and Isofix for baby seat. Been offered a good deal on a new black B180CDi today but it's been fitted with parking sensors which wifey doesn't like.

The Dodge looks excellent. Only let down by cheap looking interior but we drove it earlier this week and its a great drive for the price.

The Renault Scenic is tried and tested and does everything well but we fancy something different.

Anyone driven a B180CDi? My only concern would be that its underpowered as we do a lot of motorway driving.

Advice please :)

Cheers,
Steve

Expect the Dodge depreciation curve to be steep if other Chrysler models are anything to go by?

My wifes got an A180 CDi and it's a great little car. I can highly recommend an A-Class but not sure about the B.

Road tests of the Dodge haven't been too compimentary, but then it is a good price (VW diesel, so will be a bit rattly). The Renault you know, although obviously the new model is improved over yours. Can also be had at a good price.

I would go for the B class, but wouldn't you expect that sort of comment on this forum? Some deals on these too, but will be pricier than the Dodge or the Renault. How about an A-class - the new ones are much better than the first ones in the handling/stability department.

My sis-in-law has a B200 CDI Auto, which is quick enough although the CVT takes a bit of getting used to, especially the engine 'drone' endemic with this type of gearbox.

Why doesn't wifey like parking sensors?? They are like power steering and air con were a few years ago. Once you've tried them, you never want to be without.

Just taken delivery of B180CDI for wife, enjoys driving it! In terms of feeling underpowered, I have driven it as well and its no too bad, although not as quick as my DMS re-mapped CLK 320CDI!

jeremytaylor said:
Why doesn't wifey like parking sensors?? They are like power steering and air con were a few years ago. Once you've tried them, you never want to be without.

Seconded! They're very, very useful.

B Class as they look smart - there’s a nice new shiny one parked on my street now at my neighbour’s house. Its got nice alloys on and looks great!

We were facing a similar dilemma not that long ago but my g/f deicided that she wanted a new Fiesta and that’s what she bought almost couple of weeks ago.

Thanks for all replies so far. Not usually a fan of Citroens but that one looks very smart.

I have a test drive booked for the Dodge tomorrow afternoon and the MB Dealer has very kindly offered to send their B180CDi directly to our house on Monday midday. Even if I like the Dodge, if I am impressed with the B-Class on Monday I will go for that instead.

The one that we have our eye on now is a B180CDi SE with panoramic roof, phone pre-wire and Cruise in Cosmos Black. Have also been told that Isofix is standard so will try our Isofix Recaro seat on Monday too (in the test car).

Would like to go all the way and get Comand too but I guess I'll save the pennies for when I upgrade my C-Class :)

Oh by the way, Wifey doesn't like parking sensors because she thinks her parking skills are perfect without them :D Thats the truth!

Cheers,
Steve

High-Lo said:
Oh by the way, Wifey doesn't like parking sensors because she thinks her parking skills are perfect without them :D Thats the truth!

Hmm... I wonder why... she probbaly wants to spend the money that would be saved from PTS on herself/clothes shopping/hair etc. :rolleyes: :p

Flash said:
Hmm... I wonder why... she probbaly wants to spend the money that would be saved from PTS on herself/clothes shopping/hair etc. :rolleyes: :p

Like she doesn't spend enough on that already :D (I hope she doesn't read this :eek: )

High-Lo said:
Just like men who turn off the traction control on 700bhp modified Supras before sticking them in a ditch.:confused:

Dieselman said:
Just like men who turn off the traction control on 700bhp modified Supras before sticking them in a ditch.:confused:

LOL :D

Tell your wife I'll have her parking sensors ... and the panoramic roof please !!

Oh - the B180 CDI is pretty good, by the way ;) Are you looking at Auto or Manual ?

S.

sym said:
Tell your wife I'll have her parking sensors ... and the panoramic roof please !!

Oh - the B180 CDI is pretty good, by the way ;) Are you looking at Auto or Manual ?

S.

We are going for the common auto as apposed to the 'rare' manual transmission :)

Where did you get your Brabus roof aerial from Sym?

High-Lo said:
....send their B180CDi directly to our house on Monday midday. Even if I like the Dodge, if I am impressed with the B-Class on Monday I will go for that instead.

£19235 B180cdi

£15430 Caliber 2.0 CRD SXT SPORT

Given thats the "bare" MB price, and that's a "top spec" dodge... The MB would have to impress me a lot to spend 33% (at least) more than the dodge.

Of course, I've not driven either so it may well be 33% better :D but that's a lot of shoes.

ian_c_uk said:
£19235 B180cdi

£15430 Caliber 2.0 CRD SXT SPORT

Given thats the "bare" MB price, and that's a "top spec" dodge... The MB would have to impress me a lot to spend 33% (at least) more than the dodge.

Of course, I've not driven either so it may well be 33% better :D but that's a lot of shoes.

... But then come trade-in?

Chrysler don't have the best retained values. Look how low Neon prices have sunk.

And also, unless I am missing something you can't get an auto on a diesel with the Dodge?

jeremytaylor said:
... But then come trade-in?

Chrysler don't have the best retained values. Look how low Neon prices have sunk.

Trade in won't be great, but at least you will get "book" - b class won't get decent trade in unless it has the right options, which brings the cost up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom