Channel Tunnel height limit 1.85 I'm 1.87...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
Oooops

I booked the Tunnel rather than the ferry as usual for a change and did this months ago. Since booking I'be bought a roof box and I rang them up to ask about the height. I reckon I'm around 1.86.5 :(

Over 1.85m I need to go in a higher train. However now there is no space on the times I have booked.....

Can you risk it, what is their margin of error is it 1.85 and bang the roof at 1.85.1 ?

I'm either going to have to ditch the roof box idea or risk playing happy daft when I turn up... but then could have a long wait / pay extra to be re allocated a train?

Will it still be the same height when the car is full of people and holiday gear or will it be sitting a little lower ?

When you get out of your car when you park up in the train you don't have to crouch over , the roof height must be at least 2.5m , only time you might bang would be going up a ramp and levelling off on the top level ? There must be some leeway built in though.

I would go and play ignorant ...

If you think its possibly going to be a big issue let 10psi out of your tyres and pump them up again in France

^ That's what I said to the guy who I booked the ticket.

The cars an S211 E class it has self leveling so when I load it, even with the caravan its the smae height or at least looks it :)

There are big fek off steel gantries before you board that are the max height. If you will be caught it will be there.

I dont think you'll make it through the entrance & onto the train.

I'd get the ferry.

^ Thanks for that.

I always book the ferry but this time I booked the Tunnel for a change....

The option is to leave the roof box and fit everything in the car. I just thought having the box makes it easier to pack everything in.

I'm too late to start changing plans hotels etc booked.

The tires are the only solution as stevieb15 says.
There are maximum height bars and these are, if I recall correctly, situated after passport control on the english side. Let me remember...

1 Terminal Building
2 Drive over the funny sensor that looks underneath the car.
3 Customs
4 passport Control
5 maximum height bars
6 queueing lines and traffic lights
7 coned lanes
8 the train

So you will have to let the tires down at the terminal building.
I think you will want an electrical 12v compressor or something.

Time for some super low springs :D

There are big fek off steel gantries before you board that are the max height. If you will be caught it will be there.

Wouldn't those steel gantries automatically adjust the height if approached at a suitable speed?;);)

Do not worry, the stated max. height has an allowance for error. The top of your top box is deformable. So, 20mm over height will not be a problem. If it is, it will be so slight as to not provide a problem because the top of the box will flex.

I'm being serious.

Given that I get a little "shiver" when I drive under the 1.85m barrier in my standard car, you sure are going to be clenching your buttocks tightly when you pass under the barrier!

As this is an MB forum: years ago, when the G-wagon first came out, my cousin bought one. when it was only a week old, his wife merrily sailed into an underground carpark at full chat (probably imagining she was still in the Golf) and jammed hard and fast when the concrete of the next level up hit her roof. Hard.

The G-wagon needed a new body shell.

Do not worry, the stated max. height has an allowance for error. The top of your top box is deformable. So, 20mm over height will not be a problem. If it is, it will be so slight as to not provide a problem because the top of the box will flex.

I'm being serious.

Just be sure not to pack the bondage equipment and underwear in the roof box :D:D:D

Given that I get a little "shiver" when I drive under the 1.85m barrier in my standard car, you sure are going to be clenching your buttocks tightly when you pass under the barrier!

As this is an MB forum: years ago, when the G-wagon first came out, my cousin bought one. when it was only a week old, his wife merrily sailed into an underground carpark at full chat (probably imagining she was still in the Golf) and jammed hard and fast when the concrete of the next level up hit her roof. Hard.

Does anybody else hate passing an HGV as it passes under a Motorway bridge?

They have dangley bits on them, they arent solid... when I was going to france, the jeep in front passed through it and had less paint on his roof afterwards.

Still got on the train in the same place i did.

The Espace made me wince a few times. Never hit anything, but there were a few multi-story car parks with lots of air conduits running along the ceiling. I always had the feeling that these had been added after the ceiling height measured....

I hate multi story car parks...

I mean how is one supposed to get an 18" polished wheel mounted to a wide Mercedes around those tight bends without damaging them?

And how about an SEC that has been lowered by 45mm and has an AMG splitter? Didnt they think about this before they made those 80 degree cliffs they call ramps.

Dont get me started on width restriction bollards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom