Channel Tunnel height limit 1.85 I'm 1.87...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've gone through on the tunnel with a similar box on the S220 - no problems.

I've used the tunnel 4 times in the last few weeks. In a new X3 BMW (1670mm) it looked close but went under the barrier no problem. In a VW Caravelle it just touched the roof rails (official ht. 1970mm) and it seems it is alarmed so the crew was notified and we were diverted in to lane with coaches and caravans and on to the double height carriages. I didn't book the ticket, but we didn't appear to have any penalty or incur any extra cost:)
I suspect there is a fair bit of 'tolerance' and I would try with anything up to 1900mm!:dk:
That's interesting, the Vito is officially 1903 mm high (deliberately didn't spec. roof rails), so I guess that would probably fit. Never tried though, we always book it as a 'tall vehicle' as there's really no downside to that.

Bit of an update

Since starting the thread I have now managed to book on the same crossing coiming back only in the higher part.

Just need space going out now...

Measured it again and its 1.86 / 1.87 difficult to get an acurate figure and thats with moving the roof bars also to try and get it lower...

:)

Have u tried it loaded? Full tank of fuel? People? Minimum air pressure?
Surely there must be a couple of cm in this!!

Just read through the forum again...:doh:
Question answered...

^ I can attach the caravan and it doesn't go down...

with 35 profile tyres I doubt 10psi out of the tyres will do much either :)

I have a plan 'B' my neighbour who has it happends has a S211 estate but the older square style bars, he thinks these sit lower that the aero ones I have but not sure.

So come the weekend if I've not managed to get on the higher train I will try these.

:)

^ Because the Eurotunnel say 1.85 and any higher I will have to wait and the wait 'could' be a few hours.

Now I don't know about you but if I'm told the limit is 1.85 and I have the wife and two small children in the car I don't particularly want to be waiting around to 'go'. Especially when I know I'm slightly over.

Would you just risk it?

I still have options, before I can decide to take the box or not. If I can get it to 1.85 or book on the higher train then all happy.

No good if I'm stopped or doesn't fit and I say a chap on the internet said it would be fine....

Not any ol chap on any ol Internet though; this is mbclub.co.uk we're talking about!
:thumb:

buy/borrow a 6' spirit level then go to a multistorey. Park next to a pillar adjacent to the highest part of the box. Pencil line transfer the level to the pillar and measure down. If the floor is level it is the only accurate way to know. I suspect it will be less than you have measured duu to tape bending and not getting the tape absolutly plumb in both left to right and front to back planes.

Then relax, and have a beer.

In my quest to get beneath the 1.85m I borrowed my father inlaws rack (never used) from an M class..

It sits much lower.

pic2.jpg

I doubt there are any much lower than these?

so it sits quite nice.
pic3.jpg

Thule height compared to these bars.

pic1.jpg

Expect a 20% hit in MPG using them square bars.

Just kidding! :D

Looks like the alternative bars should have done the trick. What are you putting in the box? If it's bulk rather than weight I suppose the last resort might be to pop the bars inside the box, put something protective on the roof of the car, lay the box on that between the rails and secure with webbing from rail to rail over the top of the box. I wouldn't drive any distance or speed like that, but you could do the change whilst you're in the queue for the train, and then reinstate the bars immediately after you've exited the other end.

Funny you should say that.

I drove down to London in my wifes B class to pick the roof box and bars up for her car. On the way down we did 47mpg on the way back with the roof rack (which sits high on her car) and the roof box we did 48mpg :)

Funny you should say that.

I drove down to London in my wifes B class to pick the roof box and bars up for her car. On the way down we did 47mpg on the way back with the roof rack (which sits high on her car) and the roof box we did 48mpg :)

It was just glad to leave "The Smoke" behind.:D:D:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom