Chaps I drove past this on a forecourt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSLiverpool

MB Enthusiast
Car
Subaru Outback 3.0Rn
2000 Mercedes-Benz S Class S500 Limousine 4dr 5.0L

Got me thinking whats not to like ? will go and have a shufty on saturday.

I think its pricey but its coming from a reputable dealer and would have to have basic guarantee ?

How overpriced is it (Im thinking 100%) but looks lovely and I can splurge £7k for a year of wafting, and my new kids can play in the back !!!

Makes more sense than a Brabus CLS "Lunatic". In fact you can buy a complete S500L for the cost of years servicing and tyres on the Brabus!

I noticed the lack of FSH in the advert, its on the list. Cheap tyres with small wheels also !!

Last edited:
Lol I'm just bored with the lexus however sometimes it's a sign of a good car when nothing out of the ordinary happens.

Thing is when you have a short commute, no real spec apart from 4 doors and are self employed with one eye on the economy buying a £50k saloon makes little sense to me right now. Value is a turn on and if I could find a nice XJR last spec I would get it (there are none about)

Got me thinking whats not to like ?

What's not to like?

15mpg.
Nightmare unreliability.
£700 shock absorbers.
Being £5000 more than all the other ones.

What's to like?

Exclusive leather.

(not much spec otherwise - even looks to be on 16" wheels)

Dave

Drive it.

If you enjoy it then get a warranty with haggling.

I have a 2003 on 125k miles - average 20mpg and can eek out 30 on a run at motorway speed.

Yes, they can be problematic and a strut is expensive.

Great place to be on any journey.

You're all over the place at the moment with cars with this and the other threads you've got going.

This is far more "you", not a Frank Butcher S class:-

2008 Mercedes-Benz S Class S500L 4dr AUTO 5.5L

Or I think you should give serious consideration to the Ex Jody Schekter S63AMG with peppermint green leather.

2007 MERCEDES-BENZ S CLASS S63 4DR EX F1 WORLD CHAMPION JODY SCHECKTER'S

Both are lovely, and with both, some movement in the price would be nice. A £31k S500L has a lot of money still to lose as does the AMG car.

I can tell Dave is bored of the reliable Lexus, but reliability and not going wrong can be one of the best things in a car.

Seems a tad pricey for a 2000 model.... if i wasnt a 'veg oiler' i'd have a W220 on my driveway for certain.

buy one at the right price and just run it - yes it will present a reasonably expensive bill occasionally but in the main i reckon it will be OK. i also reckon going to a local indy for work and non-genuine parts will keep the bills down a bit.

also, dont discount a good E65 or E66 7 series for similar money

The E65's have a nicer cabin and a more luxurious feel, but the Mercedes feels less tank like and less intimidating to drive around town. It feels like a slightly larger 211 with better seats and more sound deadening, the E65 feels massive and hefty.

Driven both, briefly.

Had a 2003 730d and loved it - the S class has more toys :)

Struts - guy in Liverpool remanufactures them and does a decent job I'm told

Indie - truly exceptional indie in Hoylake just a few miles from me

No need to change but I budgeted £20k I'm now thinking £10k - my posing days are gone however the SL still looks good.

Agreed! During my CLS saga, I sampled a GS. Good car, in almost every way (except the Hybrid has zero boot space) but it was devoid of any character. Just felt like (what it is) a large , fancy Toyota. Was crossed off the list pretty early!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom