Charcoal filter???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sam-orr

I have a W202 and the service history says it has a charcoal filter that has never been changed.

What and where the hell is this?!

Anyone else got one?

W124's have these activated charcoal filters too - they are part of the fuel-air system and are considered 'consumable' parts. I think the recommended life is 75,000 miles, but I reckon it's one of those jobs that is likely to be missed on many cars.

While these things can last the life of the car, I have found that problems with idling and acceleration can appear if the filter does gets blocked or otherwise damaged. Apparently, over-filling the tank (past the first click of the pump) can allow fuel to spill into the filter - they are designed only to filter vapour and can break down and clog when contaminated by raw fuel.

If you want to change it, you'll have to remove the rear (passengers side) wheel and the plastic wheel-arch liner. Look for a black cylinder with two or three pipes attached under there - it's not a difficult job to change it, and the part won't break the bank either.

It is indeed in the service book, but for some reason very rarely changed (I did ask and was told not to bother). I wonder if anyone here had theirs replaced by an MB dealer?

I changed mine on the 300ce after i was getting a 'donking' noise which turned out to be the petrol tank sucking inwards and then releasing - once changed it resolved this altogether. If you're handy with the spanners it's not a difficult job to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom