Charcoal filter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wezzel

Car
C220 cdi Sport Estate
Hi Chaps,

I understand that my '99 C220cdi has an "activated charcoal filter" somewhere.

The questions are:

What is it?
What does it do?
Where is it located?
Am I supposed to change it and, if so, how often?
Is it cheap and easy to fix?

Many thanks is advance.

Last edited:
B83045000140.0183.gif

Item 515 in the diagram is the filter. It's effectively a fancy version of the pollen filter most other modern cars have.

It's located behind / underneath the glovebox. Undo 3 screws that secure the plastic panel in place, pull down the panel. You'll see item 370 which is the cover that secures the filter in place. Slide the two plastic securing tabs along the cover to detach it, and the filter pulls out.

Replacement is about 45 pounds from a merc dealer, i fitted one from a motor factors for about 30 pounds.

Thanks Seymansey,

I have changed the pollen filter in the past but I thought that there may be another filter in the fuel/breather system somewhere. There is a reference to one in the "Closed fuel evaporation control system" page of the parts catalogue. I seemed to remember hearing from somebody that there was another charcoal filter somewhere near the fuel tank.

Part 83 is listed as a "hose (expansion reservoir to activated charcoal filter)". It could be number 56 but this item doesn't appear in the parts list.

Attachments

• 1B73DE8EE4F02E1C36729AC9BC1A9E4F.gif
    1B73DE8EE4F02E1C36729AC9BC1A9E4F.gif
    18.3 KB · Views: 63
Two different things charcoal filter in the car is meant to keep smells out of the cabin and fuel tank charcoal filter is meant to keep smelly fuel vapour in the tank, wouldnt replace it unless its broken.

Notice when you refuel and you remove the cap and theres a vacuum? this along with the charcoal filter is all emissions related.

Well heres mine item 60 is filter looks similiar set up to yours all prob very similiar if not exactly the same.

Иллюстрация: 060 Узел: CLOSED FUEL-EVAPORATION-CONTROL SYSTEM
B47060000305.0877.gif

Lynall

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom