Charcoal filters - do you change them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShaunB

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W213 Designo Hyacinth E63
Guys

As per title, do you all change these as required in the manual?
I've read several times that changing these is unnecessary.

Any thoughts?

I certainly do on both my MBs every 2 years or so. Amazing to see the amount of gunk the filters keep out of the cockpit and you see the condition and colour...:eek: when you remove them

are you talking about the charcoal filter that is used to absorb fumes from petrol tank ?

Being out of sight,under the inner wing liner they tend to get missed,I did check mine a
while back,had perished hoses to and from it,replaced them but could see nothing wrong with the canister,so left it.

Last edited:
I certainly do on both my MBs every 2 years or so. Amazing to see the amount of gunk the filters keep out of the cockpit and you see the condition and colour...:eek: when you remove them

are you talking about the charcoal filter that is used to absorb fumes from petrol tank ?

Its called the 'activated charcoal filter'.
They are about £70 from Mercedes and different to the normal pollen filter which filters the air before it reaches the cabin.
I did change the normal pollen filter recently.

the Activated Charcoal filter on mine is changed every 72,000 miles.

I have 194,000+ miles on my car now.

The filters can get clogged if not changed, with distinct possibility of the fuel tank collapsing as the fuel gets used up.

There have been instances on forums over the years.

Apparently the charcoal filter needs replaced every 40,000 miles on my car

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom