Charging Current ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manofgresley

Car
CLK 320 Elegance Convertible
Hi all.

Does anyone know what amperage is the battery charging amperage on a 2001, CLK 320? i have a need to check the charging current, should i have a > 30 amp, or > 60 amp?

Regards

Ray

The current will depend on a number of factors mainly how charged/discharged the battery is.
If it is well charged don't expect to see more than a trickle going into the battery.

Of more importance, does it balance the worst case consumer load e.g. Heater main beam, rear demist etc, and does it maintain the battery at the correct voltage? (Around 13.9-14.5)

Depends on engine (alternator), for example W211 charge current values are min 120 max 150A at M271 engine, min. 170 max 220A OM629 engine (WIS AR15.40-P-5011TS )

This is not a straightforward question because the output of the alternator in amps has little to do with how many amps the battery get charged at except that it implies the alternator has low internal resistance which means it can shove out a lot of amps without the voltage dropping too much. The battery charging current is determined by the difference in voltage between the alternator output lets say 14.6 volts and the battery voltage lets say it's partially discharged at 12.4 volts. That voltage difference of a couple of volts may not sound much but the internal resistance of the battery is very low in the milliOhm range and the alternator resistance is also low. Ohms law applies and the charging current equals the voltage difference divided by the combined resistance in the circuit.

Hi.

I perhaps did not ask the right question, i see that some ammeters fitted to cars are 30 0 30 amps, and some are 60 0 60 amps, if i were to fit an aftermarket ammeter which should i have on my CLK 320?

Ray

Ammeters when they were fitted to cars were connected so that they measured all of the current flowing between the generator and battery except for that drawn by the starter motor. But that's a long time ago and ammeters mostly went out when dynamos were replaced by alternators.

If it's even possible on a modern car I'd fit the 60 0 60 version. Is this some sort of modern shunt type or clip on type ammeter or are you going to need seriously heavy gauge wiring like at least 6mm2. Even that size of cable would drop 0.175 volts/Metre at 60 Amps

Frankly a voltmeter infers much the same information about whether the battery is charging or not and it's much simpler and safer to wire in than the old fashioned type of ammeter.

Exactly what ^^^^^he said.
Ammeters were around when charging current and current draw were much lower.

Now, can I sell you a magneto? :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom