Charging EVs at Hotels, Restaurants & commercial destinations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NJSS

Car
2011 SL 350 Fire Opal Red|||2016 Land Rover Discovery|||1973 MGB GT V8|||1959 MGA Roadster
I have a friend who has a Lexus EV, who has been trying to find a decent hotel in Wiltshire for a family gathering this summer, with at least two 7Kw or faster charging points, as both he & his son-in-law have EVs.

He has, of course looked on ZapMap and various hotel websites and has emailed a few hotels which meet his requirements, he tells me that the best response he has received is from a hotel which has said that it will have a number of 7Kw or faster charging points available but not until at least the autumn of 2022.

He told me this as he is asking friends who might purchase EVs to ask about 7Kw+ charging points when making reservations at Hotels, Restaurants, and commercial destinations.

He is particularly pi...ed off that his accountants, who steered him towards buying an EV for tax reasons don't offer charging points at their premises!

It can't do any harm for those of us who may be planning to acquire an EV in the next few years to raise this issue as my friend suggests.

I was pleasantly surprised that:- Getaroom UK. Book Cheap Hotels, Apartments and Resorts, Save up to 70% - Why don't you just? Getaroom! and I am sure other hotel booking websites, allow one to search for hotels with EV charging points.

It has occurred to me that maybe the Chancellor should consider improving incentives for businesses to install EV charging points.

Currently the Government’s Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV), the Workplace Charging Scheme provides a grant for businesses to reduce the cost of having an EV charge point installed at their premises.

The grant allows businesses, charities, and local authorities to claim 75% of the total cost of installation, up to a maximum of £350 per socket installed, and with a maximum of 40 sockets across all sites for each applicant.

I would have thought that the maximum of 40 sockets across all sites should be abolished, and the maximum per socket increased substantially.

It might even be sensible to allow 100% of the cost of the first few EV charging points installed at each premises.

NJSS

MM the pitfalls of owning an EV.. of which there are many.

I'm not sure it should be up to the government to fund chargers though,
I don't recall them funding petrol stations, an the country currently runs its infrastructure on ICE powered vehicles.

I think more is needed to highlight the issues when buying an EV to potential buyers. Its a big cost for a product which is currently pretty flawed.

Not sure what the problem is here; why is it needed at the hotel???

All he has to do is call for a pee and a cuppa at one of the many super fast charging stations near to his hotel ) of which I'm sure there will be many) and by the time he gets back to his car it will be charged.

I don't know any hotels which have petrol pumps, do you?

I have an EV BTW, ;)

I don't know any hotels which have petrol pumps, do you?

Of course there are none because it would be unsightly, dangerous and has low profit margins.

EV's on the other hand are an unrivalled opportunity to make money cleanly and with little fuss. All the companies providing EV charging are in to make money and as they can get away with up to 200% mark up on the electricity sold, any investment in the facilities should be recovered. It's surprising then that more enterprise isn't being shown by hotels and other places where cars congregate.

I echo post #3, why should they, apart from making money on the mark-up, as suggested above.

But going back to post #1 - OK, they decide on a hotel with only two charging points. What if someone else with an EV turned up, how many should they provide? One for each room?

By the way, I was ahead of the game re the EV concept, I chose to have a Lexus hybrid 6 years ago.

Of course there are none because it would be unsightly, dangerous and has low profit margins.

EV's on the other hand are an unrivalled opportunity to make money cleanly and with little fuss. All the companies providing EV charging are in to make money and as they can get away with up to 200% mark up on the electricity sold, any investment in the facilities should be recovered. It's surprising then that more enterprise isn't being shown by hotels and other places where cars congregate.
Clearly not the reason was meaning but you are quite correct, anyone fitting a charging point can make a good profit on the electricity they sell, so why there aren't more I don't know. But still you don't need them in hotels; there are plenty in most areas without having to use a charger at a hotel.

The exception does appear to be in the highlands and other remote areas of Scotland :cool:

When we lived near Carmarthen there was a nice 8 roomed hotel and restaurant about 2 mikes away , it had one Tesla and one normal fast charger installed in 2019 , apparently was very good for attracting both diners and hotel guests

You’d think that being as business wise as they are/should be, big hotel chains would be installing charging points en mass tout suite. Unless of course they’re not convinced of the need, or viability 🤔

You’d think that being as business wise as they are/should be, big hotel chains would be installing charging points en mass tout suite. Unless of course they’re not convinced of the need, or viability 🤔
Actually a hotel near me (Scotch Corner Hotel) were well ahead of the game they have I think its about 10 Tesla chargers.

Interesting point. When/if EV’s are the norm, any hostelry will surely need a charging point for each room. That for large hotels will need some hefty upgrading of their electrical power supply from the grid. 🤔

The hotel I use in Wales (Metropole, Llandrindod wells) has several charging points in their car park although I've never had need of them. Good car friendly hotel that hosts many car clubs and is central to a lot of Wales.

Interesting point. When/if EV’s are the norm, any hostelry will surely need a charging point for each room. That for large hotels will need some hefty upgrading of their electrical power supply from the grid. 🤔

Erm yes just a bit LOL, If every hotel has say 10 x 7KW chargers, that's 70KW... Each house i an average street uses worst case 1.2Kw variable.. and is supplied by a sub station capable of this. Then each hotel would need a substation installing capable of delivering enough power for a whole street continuously for 8-10 hours

Best out another lump of coal on..

The hotel I use in Wales (Metropole, Llandrindod wells) has several charging points in their car park although I've never had need of them. Good car friendly hotel that hosts many car clubs and is central to a lot of Wales.
Funny enough I'm there next month meeting old friends, I noted it had a charger which was handy but not really necessary, however decided to go in the SL400 now anyway :p

Erm yes just a bit LOL, If every hotel has say 10 x 7KW chargers, that's 70KW... Each house i an average street uses worst case 1.2Kw variable.. and is supplied by a sub station capable of this. Then each hotel would need a substation installing capable of delivering enough power for a whole street continuously for 8-10 hours

Best out another lump of coal on..
Quite, but that’s just x10 chargers.
I was thinking more larger hotels with say 50 + rooms. 🤔

Forgive me, but not exactly being Albert, I just can’t get my head round the seemingly gargantuan restructuring/rebuilding of our National Grid in readiness for 2030, our Prime Ministers deadline.....and Boris Johnstone’s as well I gather.

Also look for Tesla Destination chargers as they can be used by any EV

The Lexus EV cited presumably is the UX300e which doesn't have a spectacular range for an EV of its size (even by 2021 standards)

I'm not sure why every EV owner should be asking if a restaurant or hotel has 7kw charging points before they make the reservation. How often does this friend visit his accountant's office to feel upset that his accountant's office doesn't have charging points installed? I feel there is a sense of entitlement that EV owners should have charging points everywhere, and everywhere they drive to.

I ask my accountant for tax advice regarding company cars, but I don't ask them about whether an EV fits into my lifestyle or not. Only I can figure that out once I take some time to understand how EVs work, what charging points are available and is this something suits me or is it going to cause me aggravation.

Why are so many people switching to EVs without taking one second to understand if it is a product that suits their needs both for commuting, leisure and more?

Also look for Tesla Destination chargers as they can be used by any EV

Just to clarify, this isn't all Tesla chargers only the ones designated "Destination" chargers are available for all EV use which is I believe a small proportion of the overall number.

MM the pitfalls of owning an EV.. of which there are many.

I'm not sure it should be up to the government to fund chargers though,
I don't recall them funding petrol stations, an the country currently runs its infrastructure on ICE powered vehicles.

I think more is needed to highlight the issues when buying an EV to potential buyers. Its a big cost for a product which is currently pretty flawed.
@Tonygw Good point about funding. Petrol powered vehicles have never been part of lowering emissions though, have they? So why would government want to fund them?

Bottom line, a lot of countries have the ambition to pivot towards a a greener lower emissions economy, which includes making it feasible for people to switch from petrol/diesel cars, and hence, central government have allocated funding to help more charging points get installed. It's not just here, but many countries. Yes, education important, but buyers need to take some responsibility themselves. If I switch to a C63 AMG tomorrow and complain about why it drinks so much petrol, wasn't the onus on me to understand it has relatively high fuel consumption before I purchase it? Yes, EVs have flaws (some more than others), but they suit "some" drivers who find them a perfect fit for their lifestyle.

The Lexus EV cited presumably is the UX300e which doesn't have a spectacular range for an EV of its size (even by 2021 standards)

I'm not sure why every EV owner should be asking if a restaurant or hotel has 7kw charging points before they make the reservation. How often does this friend visit his accountant's office to feel upset that his accountant's office doesn't have charging points installed? I feel there is a sense of entitlement that EV owners should have charging points everywhere, and everywhere they drive to.

I ask my accountant for tax advice regarding company cars, but I don't ask them about whether an EV fits into my lifestyle or not. Only I can figure that out once I take some time to understand how EVs work, what charging points are available and is this something suits me or is it going to cause me aggravation.

Why are so many people switching to EVs without taking one second to understand if it is a product that suits their needs both for commuting, leisure and more?
Luckily for me 😳 I’m old enough for it never to be of huge concern. 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom