Charging point on driveway.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If the couriers got themselves organised there would be far less trips.
As a business, We get regular deliveries (everyday) from DPD we have actually had up to 6 deliveries in one day in different vehicles from DPD all coming from the same depot 10 miles away, its quite normal to have 3 or 4, someone needs organising!

It's a business. If the cost of making each trip will go up, they will optimise their journeys. At current it's probably cheaper for them to make the extra journeys than to get organised in a different (and more environmentally-friendly) way.

It's a business. If the cost of making each trip will go up, they will optimise their journeys. At current it's probably cheaper for them to make the extra journeys than to get organised in a different (and more environmentally-friendly) way.

For me, if the optimisation meant a reduction in costs and thus my gross margin increased then I'd be doing it.

DPD . happened to me a few months back . Driver dropped off a package , had to turn around at the end of the cul de sac and then stopped again to drop off a second package for me !

For whatever reason they were not scheduled for the same drop but were both on the van at the same time ?? 🤷‍♂️

*Much* slower progress - an electric van would need many more recharging stops (eVito WLTP range is 91-92 miles), with each one taking way longer (eVito fast charge takes 6 hours.). So anything more than about 80 miles (not exactly a long run!) just isn't practical with today's technology.

As an aside I've just bought a small diesel tractor. The same company makes an electric one with an identical power output and 7 hour run time on a charge - more than enough for me. Would have been a no-brainer but for one thing - it's two and a half times the price of the diesel version :(
Ill wager the 7 hour run time is without any attachment on the tractor such as a trailer or plough etc! As soon as it pulls anything the runtime will plummet. Not so with the diesel.

When I bought the Vito I didnt even consider the eVito because on a single charge it wouldnt get me to my frequent destination! As I need to be there by about 9:30AM latest and its about two hours, im not getting up hours early in order to just get there and then spend six hours waiting to charge to get part way home again.

One aspect that hasnt been considered is what happens when/if/one should run out of fuel? With petrol or diesel a simple top up from a can and you're on your way again. With an EV when you do run out you are stranded. Its time to call a tow truck!

Ill wager the 7 hour run time is without any attachment on the tractor such as a trailer or plough etc! As soon as it pulls anything the runtime will plummet. Not so with the diesel.

When I bought the Vito I didnt even consider the eVito because on a single charge it wouldnt get me to my frequent destination! As I need to be there by about 9:30AM latest and its about two hours, im not getting up hours early in order to just get there and then spend six hours waiting to charge to get part way home again.

One aspect that hasnt been considered is what happens when/if/one should run out of fuel? With petrol or diesel a simple top up from a can and you're on your way again. With an EV when you do run out you are stranded. Its time to call a tow truck!
I can't imagine there will be any consideration of these things as the ICE penalties are increased.

It'll be interesting times when families off on their staycations get half as far as anticipated in their family motors.
That'll encourage international travel, by plane, even more.

I don't disagree with any of the advantages of an ICE car over an EV in terms of range, load carrying, and towing capacity. But what are we to do? Keep puffing toxic fumes into the air?

The RAC say:-

RAC Breakdown Cover includes electric and hybrid vehicles, as well as petrol and diesel ones. You don't need a different kind of policy if you drive an electric car.

All our patrols are High Voltage Awareness trained, so they’re qualified to fix electric and hybrid vehicles.
Out of charge? Only the RAC EV boost vans can give you a 10-mile boost to get you to the nearest charge point.

The AA say:-

Battery run out? We'll tow you to a charging point or your destination – whichever's nearer.

NJSS

The UK distributor quotes "5-7 Hours productivity from a full charge" (22 kWh battery). It would be unusual for me to need more than 2-3 hours in a day, so I think the run time would have been OK if I could have afforded £25k! In a recent review they were using it with a flail mower on the PTO (fairly power hungry), and at the end of a full day's filming it still had 59% left:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

(skip to the 'at the end of the day' section about 12 mins in).

As an aside one difference I spotted is that the diesel version will lift 750 kg on the 3-point hitch, but the electric one is limited to 450 kg.

Back to Vitos ... we use ours for travelling to dog agility shows which are generally in a field in the middle of nowhere, with no charging facilities whatsoever. Typical distance would be 80-90 miles (each way) but in the summer that can go up to 150 miles or more pulling a 1500 kg caravan. So I don't think electric power is going to be an option any time soon.

an electric van would need many more recharging stops (eVito WLTP range is 91-92 miles), with each one taking way longer (eVito fast charge takes 6 hours.). So anything more than about 80 miles (not exactly a long run!) just isn't practical with today's technology.

Room in the back, so is this the way forward?

Also there is the repair aspect to consider - simple tasks such as changing a wheel/tyre can't just be done as normally. For instance, you can't just use a normal jack to raise the vehicle to remove a wheel (from the experiences of my colleagues with EVs)

For instance, you can't just use a normal jack to raise the vehicle to remove a wheel (from the experiences of my colleagues with EVs)
Why is this?

Why is this?

Presumably due to the batteries at the base of the chassis. Happened to a Tesla colleague at Kwik Fit - not 100% clear entirely what happened but apparently they couldn't figure out how to safely raise the vehicle - normal jack couldn't be used or they didn't have the appropriate jack pads.

Presumably due to the batteries at the base of the chassis. Happened to a Tesla colleague at Kwik Fit - not 100% clear entirely what happened but apparently they couldn't figure out how to safely raise the vehicle - normal jack couldn't be used or they didn't have the appropriate jack pads.
The Lexus UX300e I had on loan has an emergency jack and the handbook details where to fit. Also details where to position a floor (trolley) jack. The car has centre pads front and rear to allow lifting the front or rear in one lift.

Guess Kwikfit didn't consult the handbook

Also there is the repair aspect to consider - simple tasks such as changing a wheel/tyre can't just be done as normally. For instance, you can't just use a normal jack to raise the vehicle to remove a wheel (from the experiences of my colleagues with EVs)

Fair point, but how many new cars (ICE or EV) actually come with a jack and spare wheel these days? I think that DIY wheel change at the roadside is only for oldtimers these days...

Why is this?

It's a car with a frame made of lightweight materials, with ca ~1t of battery and motors at the centre of it. I am guessing that trying to lift one corner could distort the frame. The overall weight itself isn't an issue, 2t ICE cars can easily be lifted using conventional jack, it's probably more to do with the weight distribution.

I am guessing that trying to lift one corner could distort the frame.
Would it be any different to parking on a raised manhole cover/speed bump?
There is no issue with jacking up EVs of any type. Just the normal caution of correctly positioning the jack.
It's shown in the handbook.
That said having flicked through the handbook for the Iconic I can find nothing about raising the vehicle?
Did find this, showing four lift points under the car (Iconic 5)

Last edited:
Yup, the info is all out there!

I don't disagree with any of the advantages of an ICE car over an EV in terms of range, load carrying, and towing capacity. But what are we to do? Keep puffing toxic fumes into the air?
One of the great things about mother nature is her ability to heal and recover. If we really want to sort out pollution then someone needs to stop China, India and Russia from building coal fired power stations. Everything else pales into insignificance compared to these.

Hydrogen fuel cell is the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom