Charging point on driveway.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fair point, but how many new cars (ICE or EV) actually come with a jack and spare wheel these days? I think that DIY wheel change at the roadside is only for oldtimers these days...
My vito did. Full size spare and a jack. Yet another advantage of ICE over EV, I could if needed change a wheel at the roadside.

Reactions: m80
The RAC say:-

The AA say:-

NJSS
And if you are more than 10 miles from a charging point? So either way you wait for a recovery firm to get to you. You cant just get a lift/uber to the nearest petrol station and return with enough fuel to get going again.

Cassette batteries that are maintained charged and owned by the government. Run at cost with profits pumped straight back in to servicing and upkeep of infrastructure. They take their little bit of tax and keep batteries out of the remit of manufacturers who rip us off???????

My vito did. Full size spare and a jack. Yet another advantage of ICE over EV, I could if needed change a wheel at the roadside.
So, best just stick with diesel then eh?

Cassette batteries that are maintained charged and owned by the government. Run at cost with profits pumped straight back in to servicing and upkeep of infrastructure. They take their little bit of tax and keep batteries out of the remit of manufacturers who rip us off???????

Because the government wouldn't dream of doing such a thing? :D

Because the government wouldn't dream of doing such a thing? :D

We'd all have to drive vehicles that used standard packs with the same capacity and voltage (and physical size, weight and connections), and all the manufacturers would have to agree to common interfaces with the vehicle for charging/heating/cooling/cell monitoring/etc. Then everyone would be locked into those standards for years to come ... potentially missing out on the incremental changes we get now as technology improves. You'd also have to crack the physical issues associated with storing/handling large & heavy interchangeable packs that normally need to be mounted under the floor, but not exposed to water/dirt/etc. from the road. Fully charged high voltage packs would obviously pose a bit of a safety issue too.

I was thinking more along the lines of ripping off the public...

What's 'Cassette batteries'?

This?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I wonder if there would be such a need to seek alternative fuels had diesel not been bought by the skinflints over the past 30 years?

Say petrol was the main source of ICE, would the environment be in such a bad way?

I wonder if there would be such a need to seek alternative fuels had diesel not been bought by the skinflints over the past 30 years?

Say petrol was the main source of ICE, would the environment be in such a bad way?

The rush for diesel was when the focus was on CO2.

So you might infer petrol was the main source of ICE then arguably there would have been be more CO2 emissions.

Then it became about NOx so diesel became bad .... and CO2 less of an issue in choice of ICE - and ULEZs became 'a thing'.

Amongst all this the issue of CO2 hasn't gone away and the choice (or eventual lack thereof) becomes between ICE and EV.

As for 'skinflints' - diesel was being pushed by government and manufacturers did their bit by making them better. The nice diesels were traditionally more expensive to buy new - but became logical to buy on PCPs because of higher residuals. And plenty of participants on this forum have had (and still have) very nice turbo diesels and considered them to be better on their own merits than the petrol offerings (well the non-V8 petrol offerings). If you want to look at the evolution of the MB diesel look at the way the E-Class in it's E220 form improved from 2002 through to the current model.

The rush for diesel was when the focus was on CO2.

So you might infer petrol was the main source of ICE then arguably there would have been be more CO2 emissions.

Then it became about NOx so diesel became bad .... and CO2 less of an issue in choice of ICE - and ULEZs became 'a thing'.

Amongst all this the issue of CO2 hasn't gone away and the choice (or eventual lack thereof) becomes between ICE and EV.

As for 'skinflints' - diesel was being pushed by government and manufacturers did their bit by making them better.
My question was around whether the environment would be in better shape had diesel not become popular in non commercial use.
I’m aware what the focus is and was and also why diesel became popular, I had to buy diesel twice myself due to lack of used petrol cars.

My question was around whether the environment would be in better shape had diesel not become popular in non commercial use.
I’m aware what the focus is and was and also why diesel became popular, I had to buy diesel twice myself due to lack of used petrol cars.

In theory, yes. But the conundrum is still the choice between unhealthy Diesel with low CO2 emissions, and or less-unhealthy petrol with higher CO2 emissions. So, ultimately, both had to go.

The overall CO2 emissions in relation to producing and running EVs is a whole different matter, though. The reality is that the only effective long-term policy for the reduction of CO2 emissions is to have less cars, and drive them less. EVs or otherwise.

In theory, yes. But the conundrum is still the choice between unhealthy Diesel with low CO2 emissions, and or less-unhealthy petrol with higher CO2 emissions. So, ultimately, both had to go.

The overall CO2 emissions in relation to producing and running EVs is a whole different matter, though. The reality is that the only effective long-term policy for the reduction of CO2 emissions is to have less cars, and drive them less. EVs or otherwise.
I agree, less cars on the road makes more room for me to go faster.

My question was theoretical, no one can know the answer but I was interested in informed opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom