Chauffeur car choice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrandom

MB Enthusiast
Berks mainly, UK. Devon too a lot of the time.
Car
1986 420SE, 1990 420SEC, 1989 2CV6.
Hi. A friend of mine has an opportunity to join up with someone to run a chauffeur business. He's a Jag man normally but has decided he should probably get a Merc for the reliability.
What do we think would be the best model for him? He is thinking something maybe 5 yrs old, classy but reliable. I see a lot of S class 320CDI's as hire cars. Are these good to run? Or would an E class be cheaper or more practical.
Many thanks for any suggestions!
(And if anyone can recommend a good place to get a suitable used Merc that'd be great too.)

You see a number of chauffeur driven 'e' class in London, but for me it would have to be an 'S' class - and yes, probably an S320CDi

Get a W140 S-Class, the last word in comfort and luxury. They're the older 'boxy' type, and can be had quite cheaply these days.

They don't have a Diesel option but will be smoother and quieter because of it.

The picture shows the V12 variety, but they can be had with a straight six and, most popularly, a 5L V-8.

Attachments

• W140.jpg
    W140.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 251
^It looks lovely! I would enjoy being Chauffered about in it.

There's something about the new S-class that I'm not overly keen on...

If I had to put my finger on it, I think it's the way they've overdone the wheel arches.

I think it's trying to hard.

The old S classes are much more relaxed and understated. (Exactly what I'd like if I was being driven around)

If I wanted to be noticed, I'd hire one of those horrible stretched limo things in PINK! :ban:
I accept that others will have their own view, but I think the new S-class is definitely a marmite car.

The new Jag XJ on the other hand...

It's so pretty I'd probably move out and sleep in it, let alone be driven around in one. ;)

The S-class is the only car IMO.

I kook after loads of airport/chauffeur cars and the guys with the S-class's say they get more work because of having a MB S-class.

Agreed that the S Class would always be the default choice, but I would also put a word in for the Audi A8. Fifty in St James's St used to run a small fleet of these (until they went bust :rolleyes:) and they always looked very impressive, in a cool, understated way, when parked up outside.

Very good.

Not quite what I said, but I think if there was a W221 and an XJ waiting to pick me up, I'd get in to the XJ no question.

Like I said, horses for courses, but the XJ looks like a nicer place to be. :thumb:

You want a long wheel base version of whatever car you choose anyway.

That is what your clients will remember most - the space.

I see a lot of S class 320CDI's as hire cars. Are these good to run? Or would an E class be cheaper or more practical.

(And if anyone can recommend a good place to get a suitable used Merc that'd be great too.)

Depends on how many of your clients specifically ask for an S-Class over an E-Class, and how much extra they would pay.

Try Autoquake in Leeds, if you're after an E-Class. It appears they sell mainly ex-lease cars, they're in good condition and well looked after, however they're usually standard spec, and if can be hard to find one with full leather (unless you buy a Sport).

I also recommend Pentagon in Reading if you want to get your windows tinted, too. :thumb:

I have been in the chauffeur business for a very long time.

It all depends on your clientele. CEOs S-Class and Management E-Class and are charged accordingly. I have a W221 500 with lots of AMG bits 20" Wheels etc, i thought i would spoil myself. I go back as far as the 450SEL then the W126 i could not face driving the "Tank" W140 so thanks to BMW at that time then the W220 and now the W221.The S-Class is the only Chauffeur Car with Cu-Dos.

I have tested the new Jaguar and like all Jags old and new they suffer from a very low roof line and a feeling of claustrophobia in the rear and non existent boot space, mind you the S-Class is not cavernous. The Audi A8 and the BMW all work to a certain extent but there is only one Chauffeur Car that really works.

Last edited:
My driver in Spain ran an S class. Not for his passengers but because it was his 'office' and he wanted comfort! :)

My driver in Spain ran an S class. Not for his passengers but because it was his 'office' and he wanted comfort! :)

Very true. That's why i had the Exclusive Passion leather in mine and lots of other goodies and everyone says wow your car is always immaculate, they think i do it for the clients, i keep like that for me.

Hi alot on here wont like this but the Audi A8 4.2 deisel is a great choice most companies around london have them instead of the S class as they are cheaper and more reliable
Regards Mike

All my work is in London and there are a few A8's, there are more BMW 7Series than Audi's and the vast majority are S-Class's. The A8 is a great car for the job, the boot is the biggest i have ever seen and like all Audi's the interior is very well put together. but it still does not have that Star on the bonnet. Lot's of cars have tried to take away the chauffeur business from Mercedes, none have succeeded.

IMO a W220 long-wheelbase S class or a E65 BMW 7 Series Long Wheelbase. The E65 can come with electric rear and SIDE blinds which are great for privacy. If you get one with rear entertainment pack, you'll have rear TV and DVD, along with seperate controls for iDrive in the rear for them to use. A very nice place to be in the back.... Pic of my old one:

Rear TV:

logic7.jpg

rear_climate.jpg

Rear iDrive contriols:

rear_but.jpg

rear_idrive.jpg

Rear blind:

rear_blind.jpg

Side Blinds:

side_blind.jpg

Rear Telephone controls:

rear_tel.jpg

Comfort:

rear_int_pass.jpg
[/IMG]

rear_lights.jpg
[/IMG]

what a great car that must have been for the kids :)

you have got me thinking.....

S class sounds like the thing then. Thanks for responses. Is there anywhere in particular that anyone can recommend for buying one? The friend is based in Birmingham in case that matters.
I'd hate for him to buy a dud. He's never had a Merc before.

Consider the boot size carefully before making a final decision.

The E class is much bigger than the S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom