cheap 2nd car - opinions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dee James

Car
2003 ML 270
I`m moving soon which will mean a drive to the station in the mornings for my wife and to drop kids off etc so she mentioned getting a cheap run about as back up to the ML for emergency's and the odd occasion when a second car will come in useful. Here`s the criteria;

1) no more than about £1500

2) must be cool/interesting

3) need four seats

190e or diesel corsa the 2nd one not cool or interesting but cheap to buy and run

Keep an eye on these threads on pistonheads:

Classic (old, retro) cars for sale £0-5k - PistonHeads

Best of the Bargain Basement Vol. 2 - PistonHeads

Best smoker barges 1-5 large [vol8] - PistonHeads

There's an army of beards at your disposal there who will be scanning the classifieds daily and point out cars you might like. If you ask them nicely they'll tailor suggestions to your taste/requirements and help guide you - i.e. point out which engines are troublesome etc.

Going by the budget, I imagine the bargain thread is the one for you, but I put all three in in case the style of the others is nearer your idea. I'd expect the bargain guys would suggest a saab - not sure if that's the right kind of interesting?

I think the w210 190 is a good shout.

Honda Jazz?

like any car if looked after well they last forever, not sure about looking cool or interesting but it is very reliable. All my cars are toys car and my wife's jazz is always there to save the day.

I`m moving soon which will mean a drive to the station in the mornings for my wife and to drop kids off etc so she mentioned getting a cheap run about as back up to the ML for emergency's and the odd occasion when a second car will come in useful. Here`s the criteria;

1) no more than about £1500

2) must be cool/interesting

3) need four seats

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-ca...e-4dr-hoddesdon-fpa-201505133422221?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-ca...oce-4dr-horsham-fpa-201505083288512?logcode=p

Used Alfa Romeo 156 for sale on Auto Trader

Last edited:
I love Alfa styling and I think in terms of looks they are always ahead, are they more reliable now?

Old shape Fiat Panda (The 1980's one Giugiaro styled using only a ruler). A few years back you could have picked one up for the price of 20 Bensons, but prices are on the rise now. £1500 will get you a very tidy one (so long as you don't buy a 4x4, which wouldn't be my choice for tarmac, anyway).

They aren't quick but if your morning commute doesn't include a stint on the motorway the 1000 is perfectly adequate to keep up with the traffic (avoid the 750 and earlier 900's, progress is a bit glacial). You can get four adults in so long as they're mates and 3 kids in the back is do-able although there's only a lap belt in the centre.

Of course, being elderly now and Italian you can expect a bit of "character" but if you buy a later, fuel injected, one they generally start on the button and don't give too much trouble. The carburettored ones are more fun, set up right they will rev like a motorbike :D. Whatever, they are all huge fun to drive - I always got out with a smile on my face.

When inevitably it does need a little TLC parts are cheap and readily available for the most part - body panels are harder to get hold of now (in the UK at least) but mechanically there's no real supply issues. Did I mention cheap? I bought a headlamp bulb for £2.50 and fitted it myself by opening the bonnet, pulling the connector off the old bulb and opening one spring clip. Try that in an SLK!

If you can find a twin sunroof model, it's practically a convertible on a sunny day :cool: - but watch out for rusty roof frames - a packet to fix..

Cheers,

Gaz

Honda Jazz?

like any car if looked after well they last forever, not sure about looking cool or interesting but it is very reliable. All my cars are toys car and my wife's jazz is always there to save the day.

Kind of fails point 2.

Having owned one for 8 years as the Mrs' car, cool it was not despite being incredibly reliable.

That Alfa is inCREDIBLY cheap. Y' gotta ask y'self why....

I love Alfa styling and I think in terms of looks they are always ahead, are they more reliable now?

Fully galvanized body and the electrics are as any other manufacturer these days, suspension as all Alfas are is wear and tear prone usually wishbones but cheap parts easily fitted problem sorted.

And cambelt replacement schedules are critical every 3 years or 30,000 miles.

That Alfa is inCREDIBLY cheap. Y' gotta ask y'self why....

The facelift and then the 159 came out and there was a price drop on the 156.

Autodelta-Alfa_Romeo_159_J4_2__mp711_pic_56858.jpg

Last edited:
Keep an eye on these threads on pistonheads:

Classic (old, retro) cars for sale £0-5k - PistonHeads

Best of the Bargain Basement Vol. 2 - PistonHeads

Best smoker barges 1-5 large [vol8] - PistonHeads

There's an army of beards at your disposal there who will be scanning the classifieds daily and point out cars you might like. If you ask them nicely they'll tailor suggestions to your taste/requirements and help guide you - i.e. point out which engines are troublesome etc.

Going by the budget, I imagine the bargain thread is the one for you, but I put all three in in case the style of the others is nearer your idea. I'd expect the bargain guys would suggest a saab - not sure if that's the right kind of interesting?

I think the w210 190 is a good shout.

i went well past my bedtime looking at the first two of those threads last - really enjoyed it so thanks for that!

i like the idea of something classic/retro although the Mrs was asking how much Mini`s were these days so might take some convincing

Well have a look on ebay at 261614757111 it is cool and not to far to travel to see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom