Cheap all-in-one Printer at PC World

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
Hi all, if anyone is in the market for a small-ish cheap all-in-one printer PC World are knocking out HP Deskjet 3050 J610's for £39.99.

As my large industrial grade Canon is currently in storage I needed a stop gap. I couldn't believe I could get a wireless printer/scanner/copier for that price. It's nuts.

BTW if you do buy one don't listed to the sales folks telling you you "need to buy a USB cable and ink cartridges". You don't....just like you don't need a £100 HDMI cable to watch TV. The margins on white goods are now so low they're obviously trying to make the money on peripherals in a big way.

So now I finally have a phone line, broadband, a TV signal, a wireless network, a wireless printer and all my other A/V sorted. Well, for the next six months anyway......until I move again.....:)

Thanks for the heads up but printer manufacturers are literally giving them away to reap revenue from overpriced print media later. Some Ink cartridges are now chipped to prevent you using cheaper aftermarket copies. Wonder if you could do that with oil filters------- :eek:?

Thanks for the heads up but printer manufacturers are literally giving them away to reap revenue from overpriced print media later. Some Ink cartridges are now chipped to prevent you using cheaper aftermarket copies. Wonder if you could do that with oil filters------- :eek:?

Yes this is the way they do it. Heavily discount the printer, ususally fitted with less ink in the installed cartridges, and make the money back on replacement ink cartridges which can cost more than a new printer :crazy:

Question though... does it work as a scanner if the ink runs out? I've been looking for a cheap networkable scanner... so this may fit the bill!

Question though... does it work as a scanner if the ink runs out? I've been looking for a cheap networkable scanner... so this may fit the bill!

you know the scanner will only work over usb?

Not true with my all in one. Mine works wirelessly. It's not a cheapo £40 number though.

What make is that? All the ones ive set up for friends ( i.e. cheap) have required the computer to be connected through USB which defeats the purpose IMHO.

Im interested to know what you have that does it wirelessly :) thats clever.

What make is that? All the ones ive set up for friends ( i.e. cheap) have required the computer to be connected through USB which defeats the purpose IMHO.

My HP all in one also scans and transmits wirelessly and was cheap but ink is a fortune

I'm using some cheapo ebay ink for my Epson inkjet. £12 for a full set of colours and two black carts - bargain :D

However it has bouts of what I call "inkontinence" when it spurts ink all over the paper for some reason...

It's an HP Photosmart C4585. Printer, Scanner, Copier. Connected to my wireless network so I can print and scan from any computer in the house.

IIRC I needed to connect it up via USB to configure initially but it came with a cable already so no need for any additional purchase. Once set up there is no need for any wired connection. In fact it's hidden in a cupboard under the stairs so not even in the same room and works fine.

Lasers printers all the way I'm afraid (especially if you don't want colour.)

Bought my first inkjet 10 years ago and realised then that they are even more expensive than a Z to run!

Bought a laser in 2004 for an unbelievably cheap price at the time; £70 for a Samsung. The toner lasted 5 years and even then the print was still readable, though lightish.
Now expecting my second toner to last another 5 years.

They claim a toner can do 3,000 sheets and my experience backs them up.

you know the scanner will only work over usb?

That defeats the purpose! My old scanner plugged into the network and emailed me (or any address I wanted) the scanned documents/images...

I'm looking for something similar, but in a "el cheapo" form factor...

Printing, like many others, I'm a laser kid... Can't stand inkjet printers anymore... I played with a wax printer a while back, and while stupidly cheap to run if you are printing large volumes, for home use I have a hp 3600dn which does absolutely brilliantly for printing! The only inkjet I would consider is the epson something or other that prints straight to CD/DVD and mil-cards

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom