Cheap AMG??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamRocky

Car
Mercedes CL203 200CDI
Hey folks,

What do you think of this? Cheap AMG or buying expensive problems? I’ve had 2 CLK’s in the past and at the time loved them.

Attachments

• C221AC5B-C51F-44BA-82E9-EDD535E71103.jpeg
    C221AC5B-C51F-44BA-82E9-EDD535E71103.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
There is a Black convertible on there too, pretty much the same mileage but 4 years younger at £5,500 :)

"No rust" It has rust on all 4 arches, they all do. You can see in the photos.

The spoiler and 'AMG edition' badge on the boot and the aerial arent original and need removing, damaged rear compartment/ash tray no biggy.

Rear bootlid looks a little high, possibly had a a resray at some point and not put back correctly. - or, the springs on the bootlid have failed and its been repositioned.

Id tread carefully. No such thing as a cheap AMG :)

Last edited:
The Designo interior is a matter of taste, but that steering wheel is vile. I'm not sure the white section hasn't just been painted to match :eek:. If so, what was the owner thinking of?

"No rust" It has rust on all 4 arches, they all do. You can see in the photos.

The spoiler and 'AMG edition' badge on the boot arent original and need removing, damaged rear compartment/ash tray no biggy.

Rear bootlight looks a little high, possibly had a a resray at some point and not put back correctly. - or, the springs on the bootlid have failed and its been repositioned.

Id tread carefully. No such thing as a cheap AMG :)
Well as you know I’ve been looking at 986 Boxsters and I’ve seen a bunch of them now. A very different car, but I just came across this CLK when scanning adverts and thought it seems such little money. Obviously maintaining it correctly is more costly, but it seems very little money purchase wise.

The Designo interior is a matter of taste, but that steering wheel is vile. I'm not sure the white section hasn't just been painted to match :eek:. If so, what was the owner thinking of?
I’ve actually seen that steering wheel or very similar in a few W202 AMG’s. Looks freaking weird to me. The two tone interior doesn’t bother me. My mind is telling me that at that price point it likely hasn’t been that well cared for for a while. People mostly give up on low value high maintenance cost cars. The other part of my brain is saying, but it’s an AMG…

Killer Hertze said a mouthfull ,there are no cheap AMG's all you can ask is that you get a couple of years without a major spend on a car that old.

The spoiler and 'AMG edition' badge on the boot and the aerial arent original and need removing
Instantly! Unnecessary really, the W208 CLK 55 is a really elegant yet muscular design straight out of the box. Added accoutrements not required!

I agree that there's no such thing as a cheap AMG too. The purchase price is only part of the story. Brakes alone on one of these is 4 figures, plus the ball joints and bushes will probably be due an overhaul. Shocks? Unless they've had some attention recently then their best years will be behind them. I'd budget on a transmission oil and filter change quite quickly as well for peace of mind. Then there are the 16 spark plugs at £10+ each and the 16 leads that are £30+ each too, something else I'd do as preventative maintenance on the off chance they're not already harnessing a slightly high resistance.

Great cars, I love all AMG models, especially of that vintage, but go in with your eyes open 👍🏼

That looks different to the one in that CLK. That looks like it’s meant to be that way.
It's what the one in the CLK would've looked like when new. It's in my W202 C43 that I had Royal Steering Wheels refurb it. The CLK one could look the same with a bit of TLC 👍🏼

Attachments

• 92C29BC9-EE19-4A1B-9061-2FE1F3BF993B.jpeg
    92C29BC9-EE19-4A1B-9061-2FE1F3BF993B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 7E36C545-0EC2-464D-B49E-637724A13C8B.jpeg
    7E36C545-0EC2-464D-B49E-637724A13C8B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 496D77E4-4CBB-482F-99E8-D4C18AC54E4F.jpeg
    496D77E4-4CBB-482F-99E8-D4C18AC54E4F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back