Cheap audio system upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Emjay88

Car
Mercedes B180
Hi everyone,

Just brought my first mercedes today (been looking for ages) and I'm so excited to get her on the road.

I'm looking for some advice with regards to the audio system. I don't appear to have an aux port (although it says aux output it available after holding the cdc button down) or bluetooth built in. Looks like a factory fitted double din with cdc, CD, and radio buttons. It has the tel button but says no phone. I have the pull out cradle drawer with a lead connected at the back of it but it doesnt have anything attached inside the cradle. What will be the cheapest option to install? The handset cradle upgrade, aux port or just an aftermarket double din stereo?
For further info, I do have the CD player mounted in glove box.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome, I have not a clue regarding your audio issue but hopefully someone will. Enjoy your Mercedes.

Hello and welcome.

Sounds like W245 pre-facelift (your B180 is between 2005 and 2009, right?) with Audio 20, CDC and UHI.
Exactly the setup I had in my A200 (2006) ...

If that's the case, you can do either of the two options you mentioned: AUX port and phone cradle upgrade to the existing setup, or a new Android head unit.
I actually went through the former option first: got a Nokia cradle and a phone, plus an AUX input, then decided I want something of this century - so fitted an aftermarket unit three years ago - never looked back.

AUX fitted:
31228719582_b5e549560a_o.jpg

Nokia cradle & phone:
35825311151_f4637f8593_o.jpg

Fitting new head unit:
35760816223_311a6bdc3c_o.jpg

26316863899_4c2e529309_o.jpg

Phone cradle tray replaced with a box cuddy:
42603791394_ddac7a136d_o.jpg

Phone, cradle and tray, before they went on eBay:

41495489820_d9986da8ec_o.jpg

28435763297_9a3e94676d_o.jpg

From memory, AUX input cable was about £5; Nokia phone £15; OEM cradle £10; head unit £250.

Hello and welcome.

Sounds like W245 pre-facelift (your B180 is between 2005 and 2009, right?) with Audio 20, CDC and UHI.
Exactly the setup I had in my A200 (2006) ...

If that's the case, you can do either of the two options you mentioned: AUX port and phone cradle upgrade to the existing setup, or a new Android head unit.
I actually went through the former option first: got a Nokia cradle and a phone, plus an AUX input, then decided I want something of this century - so fitted an aftermarket unit three years ago - never looked back.

AUX fitted:
31228719582_b5e549560a_o.jpg

Nokia cradle & phone:
35825311151_f4637f8593_o.jpg

Fitting new head unit:
35760816223_311a6bdc3c_o.jpg

26316863899_4c2e529309_o.jpg

Phone cradle tray replaced with a box cuddy:
42603791394_ddac7a136d_o.jpg

Phone, cradle and tray, before they went on eBay:

41495489820_d9986da8ec_o.jpg

28435763297_9a3e94676d_o.jpg

From memory, AUX input cable was about £5; Nokia phone £15; OEM cradle £10; head unit £250.
Yes that's exactly the same stereo I have fitted currently. Seems as though I would be wasting money to fit extras to the factory unit to then decide it's awful. Looks as though I need to replace with an aftermarket. Was it relatively easy to replace?

Reactions: GLK
Yes that's exactly the same stereo I have fitted currently. Seems as though I would be wasting money to fit extras to the factory unit to then decide it's awful. Looks as though I need to replace with an aftermarket. Was it relatively easy to replace?
To be fair, there was nothing fundamentally wrong with the original kit plus upgrades, just felt really dated, and I wanted to freshen up the whole interior.

If you go for a model-specific modern head unit, the installation will be pretty much plug-and-play - just search for a "W169 W245 android" and you'll get plenty of choice.
One thing to remember though - these Chinese units can be hit and miss reliability-wise: mine has been perfect for 3 years now, but others had problems, so given a choice, pick one with UK supplier, in case of warranty, etc issues.

To be fair, there was nothing fundamentally wrong with the original kit plus upgrades, just felt really dated, and I wanted to freshen up the whole interior.

If you go for a model-specific modern head unit, the installation will be pretty much plug-and-play - just search for a "W169 W245 android" and you'll get plenty of choice.
One thing to remember though - these Chinese units can be hit and miss reliability-wise: mine has been perfect for 3 years now, but others had problems, so given a choice, pick one with UK supplier, in case of warranty, etc issues.

I was looking at a pioneer touch screen unit and the fitting kit from dynamic sounds.
The car was extremely cheap and has issues that I need to resolve before I can even drive it. The body work is also scratched and dented so it's going to take awhile to get it looking good. Lovely car though and I'm excited to get her on the road.

Thanks for your help. I'm sure I will be back with more questions soon :)

I was looking at a pioneer touch screen unit and the fitting kit from dynamic sounds.
The car was extremely cheap and has issues that I need to resolve before I can even drive it. The body work is also scratched and dented so it's going to take awhile to get it looking good. Lovely car though and I'm excited to get her on the road.

Thanks for your help. I'm sure I will be back with more questions soon :)

The Pioneer SPH-230DAB is an excellent unit. If you send me your vin number to [email protected] I will quote you a fully installed price.

I appreciate the more OEM integrated looks of the Chinese head units designed specifically for certain cars but units like Pioneer are superior and can be bought for circa £250 (spec dependant obviously) and fitted relatively easily.

I appreciate the more OEM integrated looks of the Chinese head units designed specifically for certain cars but units like Pioneer are superior and can be bought for circa £250 (spec dependant obviously) and fitted relatively easily.

..and funnily enough Pioneer had to be bailed out by a Chinese investment company out due to their failed attempt at selling car entertainment systems.

Funny old world.

The Pioneer SPH-230DAB is an excellent unit. If you send me your vin number to [email protected] I will quote you a fully installed price.
Where would I find the vin number? I think it's probably out of my price range currently, although I believe I'm not far from you. I just need something that will allow me to use handsfree and play spotify.

I upgraded to a Pioneer AVIC-910DAB and love it to bits, the navigation is superb. You can run Waze,google maps or here, DAB reception is good, but then I did fit a roof mounted amplified aerial.

Where would I find the vin number? I think it's probably out of my price range currently, although I believe I'm not far from you. I just need something that will allow me to use handsfree and play spotify.

Bottom of windscreen, nearside (from the outside)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom