Cheap chroming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Iyse

Car
Porsche Boxster
Was in Halfords today and saw a 10m long strip of stick on chrome lining for £17 or something. I was thinking, although it looks cheap, could it be a suitable alternative for all the chrome outlines one can buy?

Hmm Sounds interesting I wonder If you could adopt that to make chrome speedo rings for my pre facelift dash. :confused: Deep in thought........

Im spending all my free time removing the crome from my car

Iyse said:
Was in Halfords today and saw a 10m long strip of stick on chrome lining for £17 or something. I was thinking, although it looks cheap, could it be a suitable alternative for all the chrome outlines one can buy?

Oh dear :confused: :rolleyes:

stwat said:

Ummm, OK. Not very constructive.

I'm just saying it's a cheap alternative that although won't look too spectacular, you get all the chrome mods, like heater rings, side indicators, front and rear lights, boot mod etc. There are lots of possibilities. You could even chrome mod places that there aren't parts for.

Last edited:
I tend to agree with Sp!ke. It's cheap and will look cheap :crazy: . Custom made chrome may be very expensive for some bits, not so for others, but at least it looks right :rolleyes:

Iyse said:

It wont work mate. I tried this some years ago on a VW Scirocco. On the outside you would think it would be ok but, because the flexiblity of a metallic/chrome strip is nothing near as that you would get from say a 'pin-stripe' water gets between the strip and whatever it is you stuck it on and then it lifts and then muck gets in and then the sticky stuff stops being sticky, I'm afraid.

On the inside you have to be so precise with your cutting, compared to a machine cut, that you never get the results you are after.

By all means give it a go but I feel you could find a better use for your seventeen quid. Pedal mod?

Iyse said:
Ummm, OK. Not very constructive.

I'm just saying it's a cheap alternative that although won't look too spectacular, you get all the chrome mods, like heater rings, side indicators, front and rear lights, boot mod etc. There are lots of possibilities. You could even chrome mod places that there aren't parts for.

Sorry Iyse. It wasnt very constructive was it mate :eek: Just me being the stwat i can be at times :D But to be honest, like others have said, it is a bit cheap and nasty. And looks crap after about 6 months.

Ok il admit it,,,,,i used some on the grill of my w201 and it looked very crap :eek: :p LOL New avantgarde grill on the way from the motherland just to make amends :D

Regards,
Stu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom