Cheap GPS Tracker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GLK

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Anyone has had a first-hand experience with one of these: GPS/GPRS Tracker ?

I bought one (although from a different seller), and it sort of functions, but only half-way :dk:

It works fine to eavesdrop - i.e. activates its microphone in a silent call, so you can hear what's going on inside the car - the least useful function, to be honest.

It sends back a link to the car location, but this is not accurate and basically points to the nearest mobile phone cell tower, as far as I can figure out.

It doesn't reply with coordinates, which is the whole point of GPS tracker ...

One obvious explanation is, of course, a faulty gadget, but it also makes me wonder, if the SIM card I use is not fully compatible - it's an O2 PAYG, so supposed to support 2G, which is what all these trackers require?

Here's what I'm getting:

IMG_2456%20resized_zpsxcf7euvp.png

I've had a similar tracker installed in my old car, and it worked fine, with the same SIM card, although not sure about the settings, it's been a couple of years:

GPS%20Tracker%20resized_zpsdrttllwf.png

Any suggestions?

Maybe it cannot see the sky clearly so is not getting a GPS lock, hence it using the 2G masts for location services.

Yes, I thought of that, but it is mounted at the top of windscreen, on the black dotted area, my dashcam is right there too, on the other side of the mirror and it gets a satellite fix in a second ... doesn't mean the tracker is able to, of course ... I shall experiment a bit more: going to leave it on for a few hours at home, by the window - will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom