Cheap insurance anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It might be cheaper to move, or find an accommodation address for insurance purposes.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

good call Brian - although it would be very wrong of us to suggest such a scam :)

I did very much the same thing when I lived in Nottingham - registered and insured the car at my parents address where the premiums were a whole lot cheaper.

Another bonus was that as I had the AA membership there as well I never needed to pay for homestart :) - as long as I didn't break down whilst i was visiting them.

Shude - you should ask them about a refund of the premium if you were to move within the next few months - my guess is they won't give you a penny back.

I'm interested how they get a "group 72" for your insurance when most "group listings" place the C class between group 11 & 15.

the AMG SL55 only manages a lowly group 20, the same as a ferrari F355 :)

Andy

Last edited:
Lifted the quote from a broker's site, where they are trying to explain the huge variations in premiums -

Insurers have found that the post-code allied with the performance, value and use of the vehicle as well as the age, sex, occupation and experience of the owner and or drivers does have a significant bearing on the risk they are undertaking to insure.

This may explain why an 18 year old, learner driver, nymphomaniac actress in central London may have difficulty insuring a left-hand drive high performance vehicle.

Some insurers will charge more or less than others because of their individual experience in certain fields of risk. Constant appraisal of their statistical information can vary the premium charged.

Computers have helped analyse statistics to such a degree that premiums are generally now lower than a few years ago.

The evidence that brown eyed drivers are safer than those with blue or grey has yet to emerge, but only because the question has not been asked on the proposal form!

PS - lookout for a quick left hooker in London on L-plates. Please post any sightings :)

I've yet to see an insurance application form that asks whether or not you are a nymphomaniac :)

As for getting "hammered" for occupation - as a session musician I know all about that one. however if i declare that as my second income and use 3D artist/visualiser as my main income - they are actually about 50/50 these days then my premium halves. I'm still the same age, still doing the same mileage etc. the insurance companies bizarre argument is that as a professional musician i may have an accident with somebody famous in the car and they would have to pay huge settlements.

This brilliant bit of reasoning applies to everyone who works in the music business as their primary income from the ultra rich "superstars" down to the guy who plays in a duo in your local pub.

As a session musician, i work almost anonymously for studios all over the country - seldom do I meet anybody famous so the chances of me being asked to give the likes of Bruce Springsteen a lift to the shops is highly unlikely.

As a 3D artist I'm meeting with heads of international software companies, architects etc on a regular basis - so as my broker says "go figure"

Andy

insurance

try halifax (as in the bank) absolutley blitzed everyone else for my insurance. with a £100 excess !!!!!

Re: insurance

Originally posted by gregster44
try halifax (as in the bank) absolutley blitzed everyone else for my insurance. with a £100 excess !!!!!

Halifax:
"Unfortunately we are unable to offer you a Halifax Car Insurance quote due to your age and the vehicle you have selected. We recommend that you call Masterquote on 08702 414 543 - they may be able to help. Please give them this reference: INTRNTP-HFX"

Halifax suck too :(

Liverpool Victoria were good for me, I seem to recall that eSure were pretty cheap too.

I guess it's a bit late, since you have renewed :(

S.

Originally posted by Steve_Perry
I guess it's a bit late, since you have renewed :(
Not really, I can always cancel the insurance with directline, I have nothing to lose.

Liverpool Victoria were good for me
L-V have just told me it will be "in the region of £2130.96 - £2355.27"
thanks anyway :(

P.S. that's not even including my recent claim! :eek:

I seem to recall that eSure were pretty cheap too.
Lol I am going in circles now!

eSure:

"As you have selected less than 4 years no claim discount we are unable to offer you an esure quote. (if you have made an incorrect selection, please click the back button below)
However, Halifax Car Insurance (also part of the Halifax and Bank of Scotland group) provides quotes for all levels of no claim discount and still offers a 10% discount when you buy online."

Hey great I could get a quote from Halifax instead! Hang on..! :(

Someone suggested Footman James.. I have two cars with them and they are very cheap. I insured a V8 with them and now my Evo which is LHD German Import and the prices were very good. AA is a bloody rip off.

Originally posted by UKEvo
AA is a bloody rip off.
Lol the AA is a joke, after checking with 40-odd insurers they were about a grand more than a quote I got from ringing just one insurance company. Silly really.

Hi Shude,

As a young man in your twenties, I hope you are not divorced, overweight and a smoker. I read in the Metro newspaper today that is what insurance company used to work out the insurance premium. They don't care if you have an advanced Driver licence.

Regards,
swl

Originally posted by swl
As a young man in your twenties, I hope you are not divorced, overweight and a smoker. I read in the Metro newspaper today that is what insurance company used to work out the insurance premium. They don't care if you have an advanced Driver licence.
I'm neither divorced, overweight nor have I ever smoked!

I have just been caught up in a pile of multipliers on a computer, that's all.

It's like this:
car insurance premium is at lowest £100 to cover the admin
x1.8 for the driver's age
x1.8 for the car
x1.8 for the postcode
/0.5 for no NCD
x1.8 for the accident I had in February

...and you end up with about 2 grand, each one has a multiplier effect on the next. All I had to do was give a different postcode and it fell £530. Because that's somewhere deep in the maths it made a huge difference to the total.

I'm going to find out how much it would cost to insure my car if I "lived" at my grandmother's house in the middle of nowhere!

Originally posted by Shude
I'm going to find out how much it would cost to insure my car if I "lived" at my grandmother's house in the middle of nowhere!

My parent's next-door-neighbour found that insurance for his son dropped from approx £2k to £1k if he took up residence with his gran, location change from Harrow to Sittingbourne (sp?) I think.

His son is approx 17 and the car a Vauxhaul Corsa.

S.

My parent's next-door-neighbour found that insurance for his son dropped from approx £2k to £1k if he took up residence with his gran, location change from Harrow to Sittingbourne (sp?) I think.

His son is approx 17 and the car a Vauxhaul Corsa.

S.

When I moved from Murrayfield (~2 miles from Edinburgh city centre) into the centre the increase was equivalent to my premium doubling. Insurance companies are just robbing swines. Since you legally have to have insurance surely the way they calculate premiums should be scruntised by an external body and made public.....or is it?

Originally posted by GDC200
Shude did you try my quoteline were they any good?
I didn't get chance :(

I have two weeks "cooling off period" with Directline anyway, I have nothing to lose if I cancel with them and go with someone else this week (they usually try to frighten you with losing NCD but I've not got any so I can do what I want!)

I might try them today.

Hay Shude, have you tried More Than,i know mine is an old car but they came out the cheapest. good luck Rob

Car insurance. I work in Oxfordshire and "live" in the middle of nowhere in South Devon, and my insurance is £250 p.a - but then I used to work for Eagle Star and still get the staff discount. Need to work there for more than a year though to get Staff Discount :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom