Cheap insurance anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shude

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK55 AMG
I just got a quote from HIC, Koolvin's favourite insurer. They want £4,400! :eek:

Can someone tell me of a cheap insurer please? :)

I have to renew in 2 days, DirectLine have been the cheapest so far with £1800 / £1000 excess. Elephant were about the same with only a £250 excess (no way to increase that on the web form, might ring them if I can find the number) .

tesco want £2,640! :eek:

bl00min' rip-off :(

Try Mercedes insurance. I went with them last year; after much hunting they were the cheapest. Also if you're an MBOA member Chris Knott Insurance will try to beat your best quote by 15%. I got 5% off my best quote when I renewed.

http://www.mercedesclub.org.uk/

Note: If you get servicing at MB, MBOA membership pays for itself as the dealers will give you 10-20% discounts.

When I got my SLK, my insurer at the time wanted £15,000 :crazy:

Try Privilege as suggested above. Cheapest for me, but then I used them to bargain my current insurer of last 3/4 years down to their price.

"Unfortunately we are unable to offer you a Sainsbury's Bank car insurance quote due to your age and the vehicle you have selected .We recommend that you call Masterquote on 08702 408 145 - they may be able to help. Please give them this reference: sains-web"

they're "making life taste better" today aren't they? :(

Check out:
http://www.oilypages.com//links.asp?page=insurance

K

P.S. - for the record - the cheapest I have ALWAYS found were Direct Choice (Taylor Price) or Tesco (and Esure if you have a minimum 4 years NCB). No-one has ever come in cheaper then either of the above - for me or Mrs. Kinky anyway

Last edited:
ok, Elephant want £1989 / £350 ex
Admiral only want £1833 / £350 ex

will check that list out in a min Kinky, looks good.

Chaucer don't sell to the public though, only through brokers. Who is your broker Andy?

I found both Direct line and the AA were quoting similiar prices but managed to play one off against the other and they kept lowering their prices £50 at a time, like an auction in reverse!

Decided to go with Direct Line, no courtesy car but then we have plenty of cars at work.

Shude
Mate try this company GSI they are on 01474 359117. I got my best quote with them. I pay £750 for my E Class and that includes the AMG wheels and bodykit.

Cheers and good luck
Ian

eagle star quoted me £840 for a non modified C180 (25 year old with 1 yrs NCB living in London) and £1800 for a C230K

i use kwikfit my insurance is £ 257.00 fully comp+ insurance on my insurance ( can claim twice in one year without affecting insurance) must be because im a old f*rt

OK I just called Directline and renewed, my policy comes up for renewal midnight tonight so it had to be done now, they were the cheapest so far anyway.

I finally managed to get it down to £1717

I had a nice conversation with the lady at Directline regarding my extortionate premium. I had prepared some info and this is what we found out.

If I lived in Knutsford my premium would fall by £530.

Can anyone explain why most people don't even pay £530 for the whole premium and I pay that much more for just parking the car here overnight. This doesn't take into account my age, driving history, convictions, endorsements or anything, this is just the area and the type of car.

She said it was because I am a young driver (apparently being 25 years old makes NO difference any more) and my car is very high risk "group 72 on the computer" whatever that means.

She said if I had 5 years no claims my whole premium would be £488. That's less than I'm paying right now for the area I live in, WTF does that mean? Surely the risk of the area is exactly the same no matter how many years no claims I have? (note this is just the *difference* in the area).

My car is only in my drive for a few hours per night then it spends most of it's time parked inside a secure, self-contained miniature town built by ICI in the 70s, in the middle of no-where with 24/7 security.

I have paid enough in premiums over the last three years and the next year to cover the claim I made in February (which I suppose is how they work it out). Still doesn't feel right. :(

I guess there will be no European trips or mods to the car for a few months while I save up for food, rent and other essentials :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom