cheap (ish) classic?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonnyboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
1991 sl300-24 project,s124 280,w115 no interior, w108 project no engine
may get shot down in flames cos after all we are an MB thread, but I suspect there are quite a few here who are not quite one-marque.

If you'd done say, five older cars a resto's, eg late 70's/80s all MB, and fancied a new project, but wanted to keep your options open, ie MB first choice but not discounting the rest, what would you consider? I think I have a enough of an eye to avoid a total "dog", but haven't been outside "our brand" before.

Purchase price £500-£3000 ish, then additional spend level modest (eg not 5 grand!!!), but its only on parts as your own labour is "free" (you're not in it for profit, just the experience, and want to come out level-ish, ie purchase plus parts = value).

I am now hankering again, the w140 is ready to go, and the G wagen just needs a back window so that "bug" is really hitting me.

The 80's stuff is now leaving me a touch cold, been there, done that, and to be honest, the likes of the w123's and w126's are very much concours crazy money or banger/ran into ground by dodgy owners territory, w124's not rare enough yet (although i'm really green cos I want Chris Silk's friends 320 convertible!!!).

Its kindof hard to justify having say a w140/w126 when we've already got the ML and the w220 - I guess they would just be seen as "poor relations" solely due to age specification, there's not enough differential to justifiable as a "classic" (more in mine and SWMBO's eyes than anyone else's).

Was wondering at w108/9/116, but really not sure where to go with it. For instance, I liked my 560SEL as it had the individual rear seats and other "special" bits, I love my w140 as its the best I could find, but I need now, at pushing 40 (!) to go more "rare" again (and not ebay rare!!!). I suspect the 107's will leave me cold as although i've never driven one, they've always seemed a touch "old boy" to me (please dont be offended 107 owners, not my intention), pus its not really practical if I wanted to make it a show car, not with 2/3 kids....even the 4 seat 560SEL was a PITA sometimes.....

Possibly thinking Porsche 928 auto(has to be auto re:SWMB), Ferrari 400 (is it a 400, the 4 seat auto?), or maybe a Roller (havng been watching Oz Clarke and James May), but open to suggestion, as long as its "prestige". I suspect its a good time to buy, credit crunch, projects being abandoned etc etc....

Really like your feedback.

Discuss.

W114/5, lots of choice still, parts are mostly easy to get, the coupes are cool, choice of engines from 2 litre to 2.8 or a diesel if thats your bag, i've had 4 now, all cost under a grand to buy and only one was a rusty heap (but then it was only 220 quid)

They have more of a classic feel to em with the big steering wheels and chrome horn ring than the later mercs, pre '73 ones are around for tax freeness and come with older style mirrors and opening quarter lights, they easy handle modern traffic especially the 280 versions although they can be a bit juicy, brakes are good, steering is good, comfy ride, not so much to go wrong as they are not full of electronics.

I use my coupe as my everyday car and its fine, will be great in the summer with the big (power) sunroof and the wind down rear windows, just makes me feel happy driving it, boot is massive, interior is roomy to, room for four inside it no probs.

I think they are a bit undervalued really, prices can only go upwards if your bothered about that sort of thing, as long as you dont buy a rusty one and the coupe specific trim is all there they are a good buy i reckon.

Last edited:
I know this is probably in the lower end of what you are thinking , but i have a real hankering for a Ford Popular , not all hot-rodded up , just a nice classic one like the day it left the factory ...

Parts are relatively well available for them , barring the body panels which are expensive for repro ones , you can pick them up in relatively good nick for a grand . Electrics are simple , as are the mechanicals. There is an article on restoring them in Practical Classics this month.

S7002829.jpg

I'm with you on the thought of a 928 - for that budget you can run to an S4, but be aware of the costs of maintaining it - the S2's with their 2 valve per cylinder engine are much easier to maintain than the 4 valve S4 onwards engine with its 7 foot timing belt.
Also agree with another poster that an old BMW 6 Series makes a good proposition. In a similar vein, I'd also suggest an XJS - I've had three and still love the looks. Make sure you get one of the later celebration models released in 1995 as they have the revised interior & more importantly the more powerful AJ16 4 litre engine. Rust is certainly still an issue (especially around the A pillars and scuttle panels) but not too bad since the bodies were galvanised post 1991 when Ford bought the company.
With regard to the Rolls option, unfortunately, anything resembling the Corniche Oz and James are running around in will be closer to 40k. You'll probably find your budget puts you in the camp of Shadows & Bentley T2's & perhaps the odd early Spirit or Bentley 8. Not sure how practical they'd be as that's an itch I'm yet to scratch !!
Finally, for all round good looks I still have a soft spot for the Jaguar Series III Sovereign - the V12 variants were produced until as late as 1992 although it's smaller 4.2 litre brother went out of production in 1987. With these cars the mechanicals are pretty robust (even taking into account the lucas "lords of darkness" electronics). Main problem with them as I'm sure you've guessed is rust......

These are more than worthy of a passing thought. It meets all of your criteria in that its within your price range, both for buying and restoring, seats 4(ish) and is cheap to run on a daily basis. And (in my opinion) is still quite a looker.
A very practical proposition in all respects. Auto box is also available if that is what you want.......

Last edited:
Been reading Practical Classics as well Dave ?

There's another article in it this month about restoring a Scimitar ;)

Actually, no. I never buy magazines. Sometimes browse at WHS ! ! !

Its just that this marque meets all the OP's criteria. However I am aware that SOME people dont regard plastic cars well. Doesnt bother me. MY Elan was great and so was a friends Daimler SP250.

.. but i have a real hankering for a Ford Popular , not all hot-rodded up , just a nice classic one like the day it left the factory ...

Noooo! Have you ever driven one? Crash gearbox, vacuum operated wipers (put your foot down and they stop), and brakes, well the car in front will do I suppose. Sorry but it's not one I'd choose.

Mate , make sure she goes to a good home please :(

My dad had one of those , the rear nearside wheel fell off ...

I owned a 1973 Triumph 2000 estate automatic. A fantastic load lugger and a reliable motor. Even more exclusive was the Rover 2000 estate which I think was made by Crayford.

Triumph 2.5 PI estate - the first quick estate car? Can't be many around any more

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

That's because they've all rusted into oblivion. I had a 2500TC saloon. Great interior, fast, but it had a homicidal rear suspension (similar to Heralds and early 316s) that regularly tried to hoick me off the road if I moved the throttle (up or down) in a bend.

Oh, and it rusted like a really rusty thing.

928 gets my vote, we appear to have bagged a couple of new projects and I'm eyeing the classifieds again and fancy an early one (just because I prefer the styling of the rear lights:D) although I suspect Mrs B will divert funds to finish the 'home improvements' this year...:rolleyes:

Ade

Do you have some more photos of your 280CTE?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom