Cheap oil deal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interesting read:

Though it seems that the issue is that Manol could not prove or substantiate their claim of being compliant with the various VW standards listed in their product spec, rather than the VLS actually testing the product and finding that it is on fact not compliant.

OK , from the top..

s-l400 (12).jpg
20201125_201324.jpg

Screenshot_20210214-095618_Drive.jpg

I agree with VLS because although VW 504.00 507.00 is the most complete manufacturer oil spec it can't start behaving like a thin 30 grade and ace the fuel economy too .

Not impossible for an oil to be both 504.00 507.00 and MB229.52 ( better on fuel but not protection and not as dpf friendly ) as is the case with a Mobil 1 oil .

But all those other specs that some probably exceed the 229.52 in fuel economy .

No additive package exists.

Then for VLS to go on about VW 505.01 is daft as a brush as VW 507.00 superceded it in 2004 and thus has a higher oil performance profile .

Screenshot_20201215-213239_Chrome.jpg

20200721_174852.jpg

Anyway Mannol don't claim that Schindler's list of manufacturer specs anymore , sorted .

Screenshot_20210226-164636_Chrome.jpg

So what is relevant to us is that the Mannol oil MB Spec Sheet compliance has been downgraded from 229.52 to 229.51?

If the oil spec does not specifically state "MB-Approval 229.51" or "MB-Freigabe 229.51" then it does not have an official approval from Mercedes.

At the very least I would refer to the approved list of tested products by Mercedes-Benz themselves.

MB-Approval 229.51 has been superseded by MB-Approval 229.52.

Either spec is a must for diesels with a DPF. I don't believe the OM651 came with a DPF but I could be wrong.

Attachments

• 229.51.PNG
    229.51.PNG
    52.5 KB · Views: 1
Personally, I would be happy with oil self-certified by the oil manufacturer to the relevant MB Spec Sheet, I.e. I think that sticking to officially approved oils only is a bit OTT.

As for the Manol incident described above, I guess the lesson is to stick to the major oil brands (Shell, Castrol, etc).

What about Supermarket oil "meets or exceeds the requirements of..." ?

What is 'supermarket oil'? Are you referring to ECP own-brand etc?

You know who it's made by ( oil blender ) MJ , what you on tonight ?

I don't, actually... saw on another forum posts saying it was made for ECP by Shell, but no way of knowing if that's the case. Also I don't actually buy engine oil anymore.... not for the past 10 years anyway. My cars are being serviced by the dealers, and they just use whatever oil they use, do my interest at this stage of my life is mostly academic.

The last few posts have made little sense. It would help if some people would just say what they mean rather than throwing in cryptic comments with no explanation.

Oil and fuel have one thing in common, they are both manufactured to meet specific standards and can be chosen on the basis they are proven to meet those standards. For fuel the minimum standard is common across all brands and outlets. For oil the standard is much more specific and in this case means tested and proven to meet the appropriate MB spec.

Even when it's not tested for approval it still is that standard .

Though not in the case of Manol, apparently? One can only hope that the major oil producers are more reliable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom