Cheap oil deal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Or oil blenders !

Like I've said many a time I've tried and long term tested a high volume non approved standard product in a most vulnerable high mileage engine .

Though not in the case of Manol, apparently? One can only hope that the major oil producers are more reliable.

People driving a Benz and wanting to cheap out on something not Mercedes Approved is just nonsensical.

Just stick with the plethora of oils approved by Mercedes in my earlier reply and find a good deal on one of those.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of good deals, I don't want to start a new thread so I'll ask my question here.

I'm looking for a 5W-40 MB-Approval 229.52 spec oil and the following is a list of Mercedes Approved oils:
eni i-Sint MS 5W-40
Fuchs TITAN GT1 FLEX 3 SAE 5W-40
LIQUI MOLY Top Tec 4110
Lopal NO.1 5W-40 API SP / ACEA C3
Mobil Super 3000 XE 5W-40
MOTUL 8100 X-CLEAN GEN2 5W-40
QUARTZ INEO FGO 5W-40
ROWE HIGHTEC SYNT RS DLS SAE 5W-40

After scavenging eBay and various other websites, the only oil I found available within the UK is MOTUL 8100 X-CLEAN GEN2 5W40

The problem is 5 litres is going for £54.85. I would need 8.5 for my OM642. Yes yes I know this is a thread looking for cheap (presumably Mercedes approved) oils and I could just get a 229.51 5W-40 oil much cheaper.
My question is would I be able to source any of the above oils cheaper than what I found for MOTUL?

It's a question of what you know and what has been said .

When a World leading authority US oil analyst Blackstone comments... bobistheoilguy...

When you think you know something...

You don't !

Speaking of good deals, I don't want to start a new thread so I'll ask my question here.

I'm looking for a 5W-40 MB-Approval 229.52 spec oil

The problem is 5 litres is going for £54.85. I would need 8.5 for my OM642. Yes yes I know this is a thread looking for cheap
Where these threads get to time and again for the best value oil is buy a 20L eco cube (bag in a box) from either MB Grangemouth or Newcastle. Newcastle have an eBay store and you can get in touch for a price if it's not listed. Usually around the £70 mark.

Is that price point attractive?

(in fairness, I might be getting confused with .51 oil at the £70 price, but worth an enquiry).

Last edited:
After scavenging eBay and various other websites, the only oil I found available within the UK is MOTUL 8100 X-CLEAN GEN2 5W40

The problem is 5 litres is going for £54.85. I would need 8.5 for my OM642. Yes yes I know this is a thread looking for cheap (presumably Mercedes approved) oils and I could just get a 229.51 5W-40 oil much cheaper.
My question is would I be able to source any of the above oils cheaper than what I found for MOTUL?
[/QUOTE]

Why do you want to spend £55 on 5 litres of oil when you can get Mercedes own for £72 for 20 litres ?

Or if it has to 229.52

Last edited:
Not sure if I'm being naive, but I was assuming if MB had approved an oil, see below, from here MB 229.51 - Low SPAsh multigrade service engine oils - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids

229.51 Low SPAsh multigrade service engine oils

The following product list should help you to select the correct operating fluid for your vehicle/major assembly from the variety of products in the market.
We are recommending to use exclusively the products listed in the following overview, because only these products have been tested and approved by Mercedes-Benz.
We recommend using only products

On that list is

MANNOL ENERGY COMBI LL SAE 5W-30 x SCT-Vertriebs GmbH, Wedel/Deutschland
Mannol Energy Formula PD 5W-40 xSCT-Vertriebs GmbH, Wedel/Deutschland
Mannol Energy Premium 5W-30 x SCT-Vertriebs GmbH, Wedel/Deutschland

So is Mannol really to be avoided?

Not sure if I'm being naive, but I was assuming if MB had approved an oil, see below, from here MB 229.51 - Low SPAsh multigrade service engine oils - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids

The following product list should help you to select the correct operating fluid for your vehicle/major assembly from the variety of products in the market.

We are recommending to use exclusively the products listed in the following overview, because only these products have been tested and approved by Mercedes-Benz.

On that list is

MANNOL ENERGY COMBI LL SAE 5W-30xSCT-Vertriebs GmbH, Wedel/Deutschland
Mannol Energy Formula PD 5W-40xSCT-Vertriebs GmbH, Wedel/Deutschland
Mannol Energy Premium 5W-30xSCT-Vertriebs GmbH, Wedel/Deutschland

Some oil producers do not submit their products to car manufacturers for formal testing and approval due to the cost involved, especially if they make a range of products with various viscosities etc, and each one needs to go through the approval process separately. Instead, they self-certify their products to meet the requirements of the relevant car manufacturers' spec.

To be honest, now that MB sell own-branded oil that will certainly meet their spec, I really don't see why anyone would a need to go shopping for engine oil... unless they are keen on running their cars for the absolute minimal cost.

As for some engine oils being better than the MB-branded oil... the vast majority of cars get scrapped long before their engines reach their natural end-of-service-life anyway. Periodic engine rebuilds were very common up to 20-30 years ago, but it is almost unheard of now.

Not trying to kill the thread... personally, I do like to talk about oil... :D but at the end of the day, my own cars are being serviced by their respective dealers who just use their own oil (and MB Brooklands use MB-branded engine oil).

My indie who was an ex mb technician and with over 30 years mb experience will only use mobil1.. of course one can always supply their own oil but I will always go with what the indie recommends..

On that list is

MANNOL ENERGY COMBI LL SAE 5W-30xSCT-Vertriebs GmbH, Wedel/Deutschland
Mannol Energy Formula PD 5W-40xSCT-Vertriebs GmbH, Wedel/Deutschland
Mannol Energy Premium 5W-30xSCT-Vertriebs GmbH, Wedel/Deutschland

I just bought a 20L tub of the Mannol for £45 ish from eBay ,
it says 229.51 on the back so I’m going with it , it’s way above my pay grade to overthink it .

Some oil producers do not submit their products to car manufacturers for formal testing and approval due to the cost involved, especially if they make a range of products with various viscosities etc, and each one needs to go through the approval process separately. Instead, they self-certify their products to meet the requirements of the relevant car manufacturers' spec.

To be honest, now that MB sell own-branded oil that will certainly meet their spec, I really don't see why anyone would a need to go shopping for engine oil... unless they are keen on running their cars for the absolute minimal cost.

As for some engine oils being better than the MB-branded oil... the vast majority of cars get scrapped long before their engines reach their natural end-of-service-life anyway. Periodic engine rebuilds were very common up to 20-30 years ago, but it is almost unheard of now.

Not trying to kill the thread... personally, I do like to talk about oil... :D but at the end of the day, my own cars are being serviced by their respective dealers who just use their own oil (and MB Brooklands use MB-branded engine oil).

But MB state "because only these products have been tested and approved by Mercedes-Benz."

Why buy foreign when this is well tried and tested! and for a fantastic price delivered, well within manufacturers specification both .51 and .52 ive been using this for years in some quite powerful and expensive motors cannot see any point in paying twice the price you can also phone these guys and ask them any questions you have about which oil you need for your particular car, cheers Dave

Why buy foreign when this is well tried and tested! and for a fantastic price delivered, well within manufacturers specification both .51 and .52 ive been using this for years in some quite powerful and expensive motors cannot see any point in paying twice the price you can also phone these guys and ask them any questions you have about which oil you need for your particular car, cheers Dave
I’ll keep my eye on that , it’s very close to what I just payed .

But MB state "because only these products have been tested and approved by Mercedes-Benz."

Oil that has been tested and approved by MB is labelled 'Approved'.

Oil that has only been tested internally by the oil manufacturer (but has not been submitted to MB for testing and approval) is labelled 'Meets MB Spec xxxx'.

Oil that has only been tested internally by the oil manufacturer (but has not been submitted to MB for testing and approval) is labelled 'Meets MB Spec xxxx'.

Correct.

Agreed, so mannol is approved 229.51

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom