Cheap oil deal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Agreed, so mannol is approved 229.51
You can't generalize it like that, not every mannol oil has approval MB229.51 but only MANNOL ENERGY COMBI LL SAE 5W-30, Mannol Energy Formula PD 5W-40 and Mannol Energy Premium 5W-30. Mannol 7715 longlife 504/507 is not approved oil by MB.
Just because an oil company has approval for certain type of engine oil doesn't mean that all engine oils by that oil company hold the same approval. This applies to all oil brands not only mannol.

You can't generalize it like that, not every mannol oil has approval MB229.51 but only MANNOL ENERGY COMBI LL SAE 5W-30, Mannol Energy Formula PD 5W-40 and Mannol Energy Premium 5W-30. Mannol 7715 longlife 504/507 is not approved oil by MB.
Just because an oil company has approval for certain type of engine oil doesn't mean that all engine oils by that oil company hold the same approval. This applies to all oil brands not only mannol.
Obviously.

I'm referring to the ones in the link I quoted in earlier post. Did you really think I was meaning every Mannol?

MANNOL ENERGY COMBI LL SAE 5W-30xSCT-Vertriebs GmbH, Wedel/Deutschland
Mannol Energy Formula PD 5W-40xSCT-Vertriebs GmbH, Wedel/Deutschland
Mannol Energy Premium 5W-30xSCT-Vertriebs GmbH, Wedel/Deutschland

Obviously.

I'm referring to the ones in the link I quoted in earlier post. Did you really think I was meaning every Mannol?

MANNOL ENERGY COMBI LL SAE 5W-30xSCT-Vertriebs GmbH, Wedel/Deutschland
Mannol Energy Formula PD 5W-40xSCT-Vertriebs GmbH, Wedel/Deutschland
Mannol Energy Premium 5W-30xSCT-Vertriebs GmbH, Wedel/Deutschland
I really don't know what you were thinking but the OP started the thread with ebay link to 2x5lit of Mannol 7715 longlife 504/507 which is not approved 229.51 MB oil.
Here is the link for one of the approved Mannol oils which have MB approval:
2X5L Mannol Energy Formula PD 5W-40 API SN/CH-4 ACEA C3 MB 229.51 VW502/505.01

So while we are going on about oil and me being a worry guts. I have always used MB oil (yes i know they don't make oil) but it makes me happy. So in the deal with my latest 220d i have an oil change and am mot at the end of the year. On looking around there service bays i see they have all the different ecp QX oils. So nows the question do i let them service it with my Mercedes oil filter and that oil ? or buy some merc oil for them to put in ? This is a good garage with all top and immaculate cars, whats your thoughts on the QX oils ? thanks gang.

So while we are going on about oil and me being a worry guts. I have always used MB oil (yes i know they don't make oil) but it makes me happy. So in the deal with my latest 220d i have an oil change and am mot at the end of the year. On looking around there service bays i see they have all the different ecp QX oils. So nows the question do i let them service it with my Mercedes oil filter and that oil ? or buy some merc oil for them to put in ? This is a good garage with all top and immaculate cars, whats your thoughts on the QX oils ? thanks gang.
While you are buying the Mercedes oil filter why not buy the correct oil whilst there. Hand them over to the garage.....no idea about QX oils and if you have always used MB oil why change..

While you are buying the Mercedes oil filter why not buy the correct oil whilst there. Hand them over to the garage.....no idea about QX oils and if you have always used MB oil why change..
i was thinking if they are doing it for nothing why buy the merc oil use the Qx they have ?

Engine oil on car forums , funniest damn subject period...

ECP Triple QX , G Force , Asda , Sainsbury's , Tesco , Carlube Triple R and probably many more inc Halfords ?

All one and the same oil blender Tetrosyl products , super high volume sales considering the collective , oil basestocks and additive package ingredients all sourced from industry standards main oil producers .

Screenshot_20200625-091225_Chrome.jpg

"You can go into any mass retailer (Wal-Mart, Meijer, AutoZone, etc.) and buy a 5W/30 (or any other grade) that will perform well in your engine. One of the best-kept secrets of the oil industry is that these store brands are actually the same, quality oils that are produced by the major oil companies. The only difference between these products and the major company brands is the name on the container and the price. Don’t believe us? Try running your own experiment: do a sample on Oil A after a known number of miles, then do a sample on Oil B and compare the wear levels. You may see a little fluctuation, but it’s very rare for one oil to make a significant difference in an engine’s wear patterns."

Screenshot_20201111-160319_Chrome.jpg

"Oil Specifications All modern oils are manufactured to meet certain standardised European/US or vehicle manufacturers specifications, you'll see them listed on the bottles. For example ACEA C3 or VW: 504.00 / 507.00. If a cheaper, non-branded oil carries a VW: 504.00 / 507.00 spec on the bottle then that means it is 100% suitable for use in any car that requires a VW: 504.00 / 507.00 spec. The same goes for a more expensive, branded oil which carries the VW: 504.00 / 507.00 spec. It also is 100% suitable for use in any car that requires that spec. But no more and no less. To achieve a VW: 504.00 / 507.00 spec an oil must be made up of a predetermined set of ingredients (additives) and it is the same set of ingredients regardless of the brand or price point. With both oils your warranty will be intact and your engine will not know the difference between the two."

Engine oil on car forums , funniest damn subject period...

ECP Triple QX , G Force , Asda , Sainsbury's , Tesco , Carlube Triple R and probably many more inc Halfords ?

All one and the same oil blender Tetrosyl products , super high volume sales considering the collective , oil basestocks and additive package ingredients all sourced from industry standards main oil producers .

View attachment 109950

"You can go into any mass retailer (Wal-Mart, Meijer, AutoZone, etc.) and buy a 5W/30 (or any other grade) that will perform well in your engine. One of the best-kept secrets of the oil industry is that these store brands are actually the same, quality oils that are produced by the major oil companies. The only difference between these products and the major company brands is the name on the container and the price. Don’t believe us? Try running your own experiment: do a sample on Oil A after a known number of miles, then do a sample on Oil B and compare the wear levels. You may see a little fluctuation, but it’s very rare for one oil to make a significant difference in an engine’s wear patterns."

View attachment 109951

"Oil Specifications All modern oils are manufactured to meet certain standardised European/US or vehicle manufacturers specifications, you'll see them listed on the bottles. Correct

For example ACEA C3 or VW: 504.00 / 507.00. If a cheaper, non-branded oil carries a VW: 504.00 / 507.00 spec on the bottle then that means it is 100% suitable for use in any car that requires a VW: 504.00 / 507.00 spec. Correct

The same goes for a more expensive, branded oil which carries the VW: 504.00 / 507.00 spec. It also is 100% suitable for use in any car that requires that spec. But no more and no less. False. Can’t be less but can be more

To achieve a VW: 504.00 / 507.00 spec an oil must be made up of a predetermined set of ingredients (additives) and it is the same set of ingredients regardless of the brand or price point. False. It would mean that all 504.00/507.00 oils are made from the same ingredients which is not true.

With both oils your warranty will be intact and your engine will not know the difference between the two." Partially true. Some oils just meet the spec but some exceed the required spec and bring different benefits for the engine on top of the spec (cleanliness, wear protection, oxidation stability, etc).

TQX 5W40 is good oil but it's not MB approved. It's one of those where the oil manufacturer claims a performance level in this case MB 229.3 Frankly given you can get genuine MB oil for a similar price in 20L quantities I wouldn't let them use TQX.

Edit: it seems their 5W30 does have an MB approval 229.51 but it's expensive so MB oil would still be my choice.

TQX.JPG

Last edited:
An observation: car manufacturers' oil spec seem to be a reflection of what the manufacturer thinks a good oil should be... and not necessarily 'specifically tailored' to their particular engines.

Most car manufacturers have just a couple of current oil standards, covering an array of diferent engine types and a wide range of engine technologies... so the oil can't be 'specific' to that particular manufacturer's engines.

In the case of MB, 229.5 oil seems to be the recommended spec for all their 4-cyl, 6-cyl, and 8-cyl petrol engines past and present, including NA, supercharged, and turbocharged, direct injection and port injection, etc.

I would by my own filter and oil such as mobil1, shell helix or mb branded whichever is cheaper and then tell them to obviously knock the cost off final bill.. I got lucky once at a mb dealer when I supplied my own oil and left it in the boot after coming to an agreement with the service manager to only charge me for labour.. when collecting the keys after and then checking the boot my 10l of oil were still there untouched! 🙃 they used their own supply of shell helix!

But what are those oils ?

We don't know without analysis , I've 8 years experience of cheap supermarket " meets or exceeds the requirements of..." that would otherwise see a worn PD camshaft .

I would hope 504.00 507.00 has groups 3 , 4 and 5 oil basestocks .

As one such manufacturer spec oil came out right near the top beating Pennzoil when measuring an oil film strength in psi !

TQX 5W40 is good oil but it's not MB approved. It's one of those where the oil manufacturer claims a performance level in this case MB 229.3 Frankly given you can get genuine MB oil for a similar price in 20L quantities I wouldn't let them use TQX.

Edit: it seems their 5W30 does have an MB approval 229.51 but it's expensive so MB oil would still be my choice.

View attachment 109952

Both the above oils are no better than API C4.
Here's what you could have with an API CK-4 classification >> Oil Service Classifications

I've been using oils capable of meeting API-CK-4 classification since 1998. Four years after API C4 was introduced and 12 years before API C4 was discontinued.

Engine oil is a very little understood automotive subject , it's hard work....!

API & ACEA are but small areas of oil performance profile , what gives the full profile is the manufacturer spec like 229.51 etc .

Screenshot_20210305-154448_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210305-154508_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201223-040306_Chrome.jpg

You'd think though, that they'd attain a current API rating - even CH-4 introduced in 1998. But no, they are all stuck on API CF from 1994 and obsolete from 2010. Why is that?

Last edited:
Well the graphs look interesting but i don't know what i'm looking at, what is the blue showing me? I think i will give them the merc oil and filter or take to an indy iv'e always been happy with the merc oil and as scotty kilmer says oil is cheap and engines are dear, thanks for your views gang.

Well the graphs look interesting but i don't know what i'm looking at, what is the blue showing me? I think i will give them the merc oil and filter or take to an indy iv'e always been happy with the merc oil and as scotty kilmer says oil is cheap and engines are dear, thanks for your views gang.
What we need is an English version of Project Farm over here, that will tell us the good from the bad.
If only we can get enough lawnmowers ...........

There are two potential issues with the 'wed' graphs.

The first is that each oil property gets equal weight.

The second is that they show a list of properties, but it is not clear if this is an exhaustive list that contains all of the relevant properties of engine oil?

A link to the source of these graphs would be helpful, as the source might have some notes explaining these points.

Great, but why not provide the link to the source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom