Cheap Oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petrol Pete

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon
Popped into my local Tesco yesterday (not a big store , but not a Xpress) Engine oil reduced, I didn't even know this store sold engine oil.

All the Castrol had long gone but TESCO own brand (in various types and viscosities) being sold off.
Example: (SAE 5W - 40) Fully Synth , API SN/CF. ACEA C3. MB229.3/229.51. BMW LL-04. VW502.00/505.01.PORSCHE A40.Ford WSS-M2C917-A. For instance.

£6 for a two litre bottle. Bargain.

Q.. bunch of pedantic twits going on about how Tesco don't make oil. Or how they can get it cheaper elsewhere...whatever.

I have news for you Tesco don't make ANYTHING, neither do most other supermarkets.

Just take advantage of their buying power and feel sorry for the bloke who got fired because he thought stocking 6 different types of engine oil in a small supermarket was a good idea. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
If the oil does meet those specs then it will be fine. MB doesn't make oil either.

Seems good if you need a small quantity although MB 229.51 spec can be had for £3.5 per litre (10L) or as little as £2.55 per litre for 20L

im not shopping in Tesco anymore now that they don't cook their own chickens.

it will have to be nando's. do they buy their chickens from Tesco?
Awwwwwww, Nando’s yum yum.

You just made me hungry. :thumb:

Well, not as cheap but, i bought 20 litres of MB oil off e bay, produced by Fuchs, meets all specs for MB (well i suppose it would being it has their name on it, delivered free for £52.00.
Done one oil change and plenty left for another one, plus some topping up.

Tesco sell everything!...........even all the Tesco Club Card information of it`s customer`s for £53,000,000

I will not go to or buy anything from Tesco on principal.

The food is tasteless also try the same food elsewhere and you will see what i mean and save money.

They say Brexit has caused price rise and i agree but Tesco seem to up the price by 20p for Brexit and another 20p for themselves equaling 40p for an item.

Because they say customers are coming back in droves they have got all swanky and put the prices well up while customers are still there.

Yes, i hate Tesco.

Just wondering, if an oil is not the approved list, who validates wether it meets a spec that it claims to?

I always used to do my own oil changes but don't any more. You can book an oil/filter change at a local national tyres for about £60 - that's with Fuchs 5w40 full syn for my car. Prob even less with a voucher code.

Just isn't worth risking getting oil on the drive and carting the old stuff to the tip to save a tenner or so.

I always used to do my own oil changes but don't any more. You can book an oil/filter change at a local national tyres for about £60 - that's with Fuchs 5w40 full syn for my car. Prob even less with a voucher code.

Just isn't worth risking getting oil on the drive and carting the old stuff to the tip to save a tenner or so.

The problem is that there is no telling what kind of crappy filter they use. I pulled this out the engine of an E55 that I had purchased.

10391476_10156652705050165_75253589576659470_n.jpg

I do my own servicing for these reasons......
I can
I do not trust that a garage has done it properly.
It gives me peace of mind I have done it correctly.

Saying that, as I get older, past 60 now, there are some jobs I will not attempt like I used to, clutch or engine strip. I do not like laying under a car for too long now, so I will pay someone to change auto trans fluid soon. However, place I have chosen allows you to watch the car being worked on, which will be good

10 ltrs of shell helix and a filter £43 . ill suck out the old with my pella . refill through the oil filter housing . no spills . money saved happy i know i did it . i love tescos btw.

Just wondering, if an oil is not the approved list, who validates wether it meets a spec that it claims to?

The oil manufacturers self-certify their own oils.

It's a bit like food - if it says '100% beef' you just have to trust them.......

The oil manufacturers self-certify their own oils.

It's a bit like food - if it says '100% beef' you just have to trust them.......

Yes but 'beef' can be any fleshy part of the animal - let your imagination go wild on that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom