Cheap phone calls from the USA

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
Have we any advice about making cheap phone calls from the USA? My daughter is off for a fortnight's holiday in Mississippi and we are wondering what the best option is.

Someone mentioned a mobile type SKYPE telephone but that sounds complicated :eek: :eek:

As usual any advice will be graetly appreciated.

At the moment she has a contract with Vodaphone.

Regards
John

If she's with Vodafone get her to ask them about the Vodafone Passport. Set one off price for calls made or received ( I think it's 75p per call ) plus lower per minute costs. Not tried it yet, but should be explained on the Vodafone website.

When I was in the US last year, I bought a prepaid SIM from AT&T. Cost me $25, but came with $25 credit, so effectively free. Very cheap way of doing it - texts back to UK were like 5 cents, and calls cheap, a fraction of what those robdogs at Vodafone charge - £1.50 a minute!

She will need to check her handset is unlocked. If it is network locked but on contract Vodafone will give the unlock code - for free - if you phone up and ask them. I did mine a couple of weeks ago, as we are off to Washington in a couple of weeks..

Cheers,

Gaz

I use sipgate (www.sipgate) via a software phone on my laptop.....

But Skype would probably suit her best - so long as both computers (her's and yours) have a sound card and microphone (web camera with sound will do), it is very easy, just download, create an account, and add each other as contacts.

When I was in the US last year, I bought a prepaid SIM from AT&T. Cost me $25, but came with $25 credit, so effectively free. Very cheap way of doing it - texts back to UK were like 5 cents, and calls cheap, a fraction of what those robdogs at Vodafone charge - £1.50 a minute!

She will need to check her handset is unlocked. If it is network locked but on contract Vodafone will give the unlock code - for free - if you phone up and ask them. I did mine a couple of weeks ago, as we are off to Washington in a couple of weeks..

Cheers,

Gaz
Hi Gaz,
Are these cards purchased in the US? I tried the link AMWEBY very kindly posted but I am computer challenged and it appears to be US based :eek: :eek: No doubt I did something wrong.

Thanks everyone that has posted and it certainly gives her some great options.

Vodafone have just upgraded her phone but I will try putting in a different branded sim card to see if it is unlocked. :eek:

regards
John

Hi Gaz,
Are these cards purchased in the US? I tried the link AMWEBY very kindly posted but I am computer challenged and it appears to be US based :eek: :eek: No doubt I did something wrong.

Thanks everyone that has posted and it certainly gives her some great options.

Vodafone have just upgraded her phone but I will try putting in a different branded sim card to see if it is unlocked. :eek:

regards
John

Hi John,

I walked into the AT&T store in the nearest mall and bought the card there. Got issued with a US phone number, which I then texted back to those who needed to know (i.e. not work!). Not sure if you can buy them in advance.

If your daughter's phone is new, the chances are it won't be network locked - I found out recently that they don't supply locked handsets on contract any more. I guess they've had their knuckles rapped about it. And they will give out an unlock code for free for any contract handset, and PAYG ones over 12 months old.

Cheers,

Gaz

We bought US AT&T pay as you go phones. 15c for texts (send and receive!) and I think 50c p/m calls (it's not on the bit of paper they gave me!) They call it a 'Go Phone' and they are cheap to pick up in electronics stores about $30 and I put $25 credit on too and still have loads left!

Land line calls are really cheap, about 4c p/m on ours but not as convenient if she's travelling but a calling card to use from a phone box might work for calling you back!

Kate

Have a look at Truphone to see if her mobile is supported, if it is then she can make calls over a wireless connection (at most shopping malls)

Have a look at Truphone to see if her mobile is supported, if it is then she can make calls over a wireless connection (at most shopping malls)

I was just about to suggest the same thing - If she is slightly technically savvy you can save a fortune. If she's not, then you load truphone, get her a US sim and call her for about a penny a minute :)

I used Truphone all over the US last year, and if you can get to grips with the technology its easy to use a data only T-mobile sim. I have a couple of sims I use in the US but now I only ever use truphone.
Truphone is a VOIP application that basically makes calls over the internet at no or very little cost. It can work on wireless or GSM and I use the data connection from T-mobile in the US when there is no wireless about. It works perfectly :)

Last year in a 3 week spell we logged about 10/12 hours of calls to the UK (mainly keeping in touch with work & kids), Australia and France at absolutely zero cost :D

You need to check that your service provider allows calls to Truphones 07 number as they aer not always bundled due to truphone using IOM and Jersey 07 numbers

Feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to fill in any gaps.
drop me a PM and I will gladly ring you (on truphone naturally) and point you in the right direction :)

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom