Cheap Properties in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tjamesbo

Car
CLK430 ,Vito V6 sport ,Jaguar 2.5 X type ,W124's 1993 220TE , 1994 320TE ,Mastercraft X5
LIfe is changing impending Relationship break up means I am looking at where to live options for parts of the year I Have a holiday lodge at poole where i intend to be most of the year bar the school hols and occasional holiday lets when i let it out for the income so that leaves me with somewhere as a bolt hole where i can store my cars and work on them Currently Ireland is also a possibility for the dancing / social life the other alternative is Northern or central or Western France needs to be get there in a Day , having spent time at a friends house near Hesdin The properties and living costs are attractive but poor social life but I have that here when I stay at poole so its a bolthole and a car hobby place and perhaps enjoy a bit of french life I'm interested in run down properties even derelict as well as long as i can have a living quarter and workshop barn / garage up quickly then that will do . So any recommended sites to look at ???? When i looked at ireland Rightmove and Daft Ie were brilliant so which are the ones for french properties ??? Other option under consideration Is Buying an HMO property here where the HMO income makes the Place with a Garage / workshop affordable and that would have to be in a low price location
Pointers to french sites appreciated Thanks

Buying from a notaire as opposed to an immobilier (estate agent) will save fees. Companies such as Leggett immobilier (frenchestateagents.com) appear to charge a minimum of 6000 euros whereas a notaire will generally charge a fraction of that. Good notaire site linked below..

Also enquire about the drainage set up for any property you are interested in. In the sewer (mains drains) or septic tank (conforming to which standard? Approx 10,000 euros to rectify). And ask how much the tax fonciere and tax d'habitation is. Lots of wrecks for sale in rural France so i would say buyer beware. Maybe a decent motorhome used on the many aires throughout France would be a better option?

Last edited:
The Wine Society had a shop in Hesdin for many years... Always found somewhere nice to eat but it was a bit "dead". That said I'd buy fois gras and terrine de sanglier locally from a little farm for not much money so that was always good.

Would it become your main residence? Just thinking about the 90 days visiting rule currently.

France is lovely … but…

It can easily take a year to complete a purchase, and more than a couple of years to get a property sold again. And the fees in both directions are horrific

Local French bureaucracy is a pain in the rear quarters if your French isn’t fluent.

Without residency you’re limited to three months with six. Call it a max of just under six months a year.

Much depends where you’re starting from but door to door times beyond the main port areas can be a drag.. (assuming that you’re driving, not flying).

It takes me a day to drive from London south to La Baule Escoublac

Hi,
From what you say, I'd be looking at this area of France:
NW FRANCE.JPG

You could get there easily from Portsmouth, which means you avoid London.
The area is far enough from Paris to be cheap.

You can search for a house on "Leboncoin", which is used by private sellers as well as estate agents and 'notaires'.
You can't use Google Translate on this site, but it's very easy to use.
Here's a link to the area: CLICKY LEBONCOIN

When you say "cheap" have you got an idea of your price range ?

hth

Buying from a notaire as opposed to an immobilier (estate agent) will save fees. Companies such as Leggett immobilier (frenchestateagents.com) appear to charge a minimum of 6000 euros whereas a notaire will generally charge a fraction of that. Good notaire site linked below..

Also enquire about the drainage set up for any property you are interested in. In the sewer (mains drains) or septic tank (conforming to which standard? Approx 10,000 euros to rectify). And ask how much the tax fonciere and tax d'habitation is. Lots of wrecks for sale in rural France so i would say buyer beware. Maybe a decent motorhome used on the many aires throughout France would be a better option?

What you say is not true: a Notaire will charge a negociation fee (typically 3%) just as the agents immobilier.

Hi,
From what you say, I'd be looking at this area of France:
View attachment 157480

You could get there easily from Portsmouth, which means you avoid London.
The area is far enough from Paris to be cheap.

You can search for a house on "Leboncoin", which is used by private sellers as well as estate agents and 'notaires'.
You can't use Google Translate on this site, but it's very easy to use.
Here's a link to the area: CLICKY LEBONCOIN

When you say "cheap" have you got an idea of your price range ?

hth
Good cider available in this region :thumb:

What you say is not true: a Notaire will charge a negociation fee (typically 3%) just as the agents immobilier.
And there's kind of an advantage in having a lawyer watching over / challenging the estate agent.

What the Germans would call the "four eyes' principle" of a second person reviewing the transaction.

(Slightly unreliable because they all know one another, but there can be a benefit.)

Bear in mind that the Atlantic coast can be wet.

I spent a few Easter holidays in La Baule with the kids and they loved playing in the non-stop rain on that huge beach

Screenshot 2024-06-01 at 14.36.24.png

And there's kind of an advantage in having a lawyer watching over / challenging the estate agent.

What the Germans would call the "four eyes' principle" of a second person reviewing the transaction.

(Slightly unreliable because they all know one another, but there can be a benefit.)
I bought a house in the Charante with my ex-wife. Interesting that she had to sign the documents in her maiden name!

I spent a few Easter holidays in La Baule with the kids and they loved playing in the non-stop rain on that huge beach

View attachment 157491
As a kid I remember holidays like that at Bognor. It didn't look nearly as good though.
:D

Don’t you also have to sign a tontine (no idea of spelling) so the property reverts to your kids on death?
Doesn't a "tontine" (yes, correct spelling) mean that the property passes to the surviving partner (the wife, normally, natch) rather than passing directly to your children.

Which potentially could result in a disinheritance, if your children are not hers.

(Isn't this a workaround to avoid inheritance tax on the property passing immediately to the children on the death of the first parent?)

From memory, on first death surviving spouse has to immediately pay inheritance tax on what he/she inherits, which is 50% with the other 50% going to their children. Any UK style will is ignored, so the UK rule of inheritance between spouses on first death does not exist, neither does a clause in your UK will splitting kids inheritance less than equally - for instance cutting a child out completely, as you can do under UK law. Be very careful!!

Also not sure if this applies in France, but a niece appeared to inherit her late father's apartment in Torre Blanca Spain, only to find it was still in the parent's joint names. She was executor of late father's will, but late Mother's will had never been probated so she had to do that first, then get probate on father's will then use those documents to get Spanish authorities to transfer apartment ownership from joint to father to her - took many many months!! Involved parties were Irish so EU citizens, made no difference!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom